Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Control Panel Enclosure - DIY?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 12:30 AM   #11
Inodoro_Pereyra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Inodoro_Pereyra,

Wait... Wait... You paint a senerio that is beyond imagination. AND - It has nothing to do with what we, as brewers, are doing.
It's a high power, high voltage (220V) short circuit, that lit a door sitting 8 feet away on fire in a fraction of a second. I'd say it has everything to do with putting 240V equipment in a closed wooden box, that's just inches away from a possible short circuit.

A pessimist is a well informed optimist.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1019 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inodoro_Pereyra View Post
I'd say we treat them like an electric, high powered machine, in a house were women and children may live. Do you see many clothes dryers, stoves, or dishwashers made out of wood? I would think a brewing setup should at least follow the same safety rules as a dishwasher, wouldn't you agree?
Well, no I don't. My wife uses the dishwasher every day for one thing. Also, if it had a separate control panel, I'd have no problem with it being made of wood. We're not talking about a shoddy scrap wood box here are we? I mean, a nicely crafted box made of high quality wood with decent craftsmanship and finishing can be waterproof and safe. You know they once made boat hulls out of wood and those had metal machines that caused explosions to happen thousands of times per minute on purpose.

I'm messing with you a bit here ya know.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-27-2011, 03:15 AM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1019 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Seriously though, I do think it's a recent trend around here to er on the side of over cautious for fear that we might give someone permission to make a stupid mistake. We're all adults and if you can't figure out if something is safe or not, it's probably not safe for the person asking.

What do I know though? I like to live on the edge so I'm going to build my enclosure out of compressed dryer lint.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-27-2011, 03:21 AM   #14
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Could one power the dryer lint with a lightning rod then just wait for a storm? Excellent....

I wound up buying a $6 plastic toolbox dealie today, so I'll see how that goes. Seen enough of those around here, and they're cheap, and easy to cut/drill! Now to ensure it doesn't melt....

Old 05-27-2011, 03:51 AM   #15
Inodoro_Pereyra
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Seriously though, I do think it's a recent trend around here to er on the side of over cautious for fear that we might give someone permission to make a stupid mistake. We're all adults and if you can't figure out if something is safe or not, it's probably not safe for the person asking.
True, but the fact is we don't know who reads our posts.
I used to be an active member on a biodiesel forum. You wouldn't believe the kind of stupid crap some people did, even when they were constantly reminded they were dealing with electricity, flammable, toxic and corrosive materials. I just don't want to have that stuff on my conscience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
What do I know though? I like to live on the edge so I'm going to build my enclosure out of compressed dryer lint.
Make sure you use the thermite dope the Mythbusters used in the Hindenburg episode, to seal the lint...

A pessimist is a well informed optimist.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
ryclo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think what is missing here is the "Energy Potential" available. I can tell you there will be no 8 foot arc flash coming from a residential outlet. This is the whole reason they came up with class ratings on electrician tools. Class III is what you typically find inside a home and you will only be able to generate so much energy. Anyone fooling with these builds better have a healthy respect for the lethal nature of 120/220 Volts AC and have at least a basic knowledge of electricity in general or they risk themselves and others safety. That said, I would feel perfectly fine using wood as a control panel provided it was wired correctly and not mounted directly over a boil kettle.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #17
eric_pwb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryclo View Post
I think what is missing here is the "Energy Potential" available. I can tell you there will be no 8 foot arc flash coming from a residential outlet. This is the whole reason they came up with class ratings on electrician tools. Class III is what you typically find inside a home and you will only be able to generate so much energy. Anyone fooling with these builds better have a healthy respect for the lethal nature of 120/220 Volts AC and have at least a basic knowledge of electricity in general or they risk themselves and others safety. That said, I would feel perfectly fine using wood as a control panel provided it was wired correctly and not mounted directly over a boil kettle.
Hmmm... Its good to know I am not completely insane! My original plan for my new contol panel was to do exactly that, but I instead opted for building a custom panel enclosure from fiberglass.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:15 AM   #18
adam01
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quite Relevant "Ad Choices" below the previous reply...

"Free Arc Flash Handbook 130 pages of free expert advice on Arc Flash and Arc Flash Safety www.DuraLabel.com"

Old 07-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #19
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

you're not going to get an arc flash like that, even in a worse-case scenario, in a 50-amp 220-volt single-phase panel... you might lose your eyebrows and see purple dots for awhile, but that's another subject.....

a plywood box, sealed with polyurethane, or better, epoxy, will work just fine. west system is a common marine epoxy that is designed to soak into and encapsulate wood, i have used it many times and it is excellent stuff.

Quick Reply