Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Control Panel Brew Stand Mount
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
cheez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cheez's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Green Side of, WA
Posts: 184
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Control Panel Brew Stand Mount

I would like to attach my 16x16x8 50A control panel to the side of my wood brew stand and have the ability of swiveling it out of the way when done brewing. I would also like to be able able to move the height of the panel up without attaching a vertical 2x4 (or whatever) to the side of my brew stand to achieve the desired height.

I came across this mount http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 and it looks like it may do the trick. Any thoughts on this mount or any other ideas? Thanks

__________________
On Tap
Breakfast Stout
IPA
Irish Red Ale
Ginger Ale
Belgian Wit
Winter Ale
cheez is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BadNewsBrewery's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,134
Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

I built a ceiling mounted jib-arm for mine using fairly heavy duty parts, and it puts a lot of strain on the joints. Depending on what you cram into your panel, it will end up weighing quite a bit. 44lbs is the limit on that bracket, and is probably pretty close to what a panel will weigh. Based on my experience - find a place you can mount it without moving it and just leave it be.

__________________
Building a Bad News Brewery - eHERMS

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit
10gal Oktoberfest
10gal Southern Pecan Ale

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Oktoberfest
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Southern Pecan
On Deck: Winter Spice Ale
BadNewsBrewery is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
cheez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cheez's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Green Side of, WA
Posts: 184
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
I built a ceiling mounted jib-arm for mine using fairly heavy duty parts, and it puts a lot of strain on the joints. Depending on what you cram into your panel, it will end up weighing quite a bit. 44lbs is the limit on that bracket, and is probably pretty close to what a panel will weigh. Based on my experience - find a place you can mount it without moving it and just leave it be.
I really don't have a convenient place to put the stand against a wall and for the panel to be mounted on the wall. I want the stand to be somewhat mobile around my shop and for the control panel to be within arms reach of whatever I'm doing - especially for shutting off a pump. Whenever I insulate my shop, finish the upstairs, organize crap, etc., I may try to make a permanent location for the brew stand. But, that may be several years out.

I was hoping to find some kind of articulating arm that would swivel and move in any direction and hold the weight. I should have my new brew stand done this weekend so I'll take my bare panel and start brainstorming.
__________________
On Tap
Breakfast Stout
IPA
Irish Red Ale
Ginger Ale
Belgian Wit
Winter Ale
cheez is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
hammis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hammis's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: canada
Posts: 299
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

i used something similar and in the same application (mounted to my wooden stand). im very happy with the one i bought (ebay for like 25). ill see if i can find the picture and post it

__________________
hammis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BadNewsBrewery's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 1,134
Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
I want the stand to be somewhat mobile around my shop and for the control panel to be within arms reach of whatever I'm doing - especially for shutting off a pump..
So this was my initial thought process, too. And that's why I built my ceiling mounted jib-arm. I can move my panel anywhere within about 6' of where it's mounted. The reality is - I leave it in one spot.

Think of it this way - how big is your brew stand going to be? 8' long? 10' at most? If something goes horribly wrong, and you are at the far end of the brew stand from your panel, you could cover that distance and hit the EPO in under a second.

I'm all for complicated gizmos and gadgets, and part of me really wants you to get this thing and report back on how it works. The other part of me feels that there are some times where keeping it simple and functional is the right way to go.

Either way, you'll be able to make beer, and that's the important part!
__________________
Building a Bad News Brewery - eHERMS

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit
10gal Oktoberfest
10gal Southern Pecan Ale

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Oktoberfest
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Southern Pecan
On Deck: Winter Spice Ale
BadNewsBrewery is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
cheez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cheez's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Green Side of, WA
Posts: 184
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammis View Post
i used something similar and in the same application (mounted to my wooden stand). im very happy with the one i bought (ebay for like 25). ill see if i can find the picture and post it
A photo. would be much appreciated!
__________________
On Tap
Breakfast Stout
IPA
Irish Red Ale
Ginger Ale
Belgian Wit
Winter Ale
cheez is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
cheez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cheez's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Green Side of, WA
Posts: 184
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
So this was my initial thought process, too. And that's why I built my ceiling mounted jib-arm. I can move my panel anywhere within about 6' of where it's mounted. The reality is - I leave it in one spot.

Think of it this way - how big is your brew stand going to be? 8' long? 10' at most? If something goes horribly wrong, and you are at the far end of the brew stand from your panel, you could cover that distance and hit the EPO in under a second.

I'm all for complicated gizmos and gadgets, and part of me really wants you to get this thing and report back on how it works. The other part of me feels that there are some times where keeping it simple and functional is the right way to go.

Either way, you'll be able to make beer, and that's the important part!
The bottom line is that I just want to attach it to my brew stand - at least for now. The top of my brew stand is only 27" high and I'm hoping to have the panel roughly around 36" high. I like the the idea of the mount I posted in that it easily adjusts height wise as well as all of the rotating stuff. This mount would allow me to attach it to the side of my stand (at the top) without extending a pipe or 4x4 or whatever up to get the height I'm after. Whether it will really work... I dunno.
__________________
On Tap
Breakfast Stout
IPA
Irish Red Ale
Ginger Ale
Belgian Wit
Winter Ale
cheez is offline
BadNewsBrewery Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 22,103
Liked 1012 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

I think I'd maybe use two U-bolts to clamp a 1.5" black pipe vertically to the end of the stand, then on the top thread an elbow on to the point where it's facing away from the stand but just loose enough to turn as a pivot. Then a nipple long enough to space it away from the stand just enough, then elbow to go vertical. Then go with a 45 elbow so that the panel tilts back and then to a flange to bolt to the panel. Any joint on a horizontal should get drilled through for a cotter pin or bolt to keep it from rotating to disaster. I haven't priced it out but it should be stronger than the cheap TV mounts.

__________________
Bobby_M is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
cheez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cheez's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Green Side of, WA
Posts: 184
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I think I'd maybe use two U-bolts to clamp a 1.5" black pipe vertically to the end of the stand, then on the top thread an elbow on to the point where it's facing away from the stand but just loose enough to turn as a pivot. Then a nipple long enough to space it away from the stand just enough, then elbow to go vertical. Then go with a 45 elbow so that the panel tilts back and then to a flange to bolt to the panel. Any joint on a horizontal should get drilled through for a cotter pin or bolt to keep it from rotating to disaster. I haven't priced it out but it should be stronger than the cheap TV mounts.
Hmm... that's a good idea. Next time I'm at HD I'll take a look at some parts to see what it would take. Thanks.
__________________
On Tap
Breakfast Stout
IPA
Irish Red Ale
Ginger Ale
Belgian Wit
Winter Ale
cheez is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #10
kydan47
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kydan47's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 70
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I used superstrut plus HF dolly wheels and my panel weighed 52 lbs before I added the components.


Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

image-2820681671.jpg   image-4088883804.jpg  
__________________
kydan47 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How did you mount your control panel? Huaco Electric Brewing 9 07-29-2012 07:17 PM
How to safely mount a pump to the brew stand bmunos Equipment/Sanitation 8 11-15-2011 08:05 PM
For Sale - LP tank bracket & control panel mount for a marcus brew stand agroff383 For Sale 9 09-07-2011 03:04 AM
For Sale - Two Level brew stand w/ 2 pumps, big burner, 25 gal. kettle, control panel McHandbag For Sale 2 12-05-2010 10:43 PM
Brew Stand Control Panel Timers / Countdown MNBugeater Equipment/Sanitation 8 03-30-2008 12:39 AM