Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Control box build discouragement

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Nah, it's all good, and when it isn't good it's learning experience

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #12
Fizzycist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Well, thanks everybody! When I get it complete I'll post some photos.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
zeus53219
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

It's almost bittersweet when the build is complete. You will be looking for another project when you are finished.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #14
wagz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I found the best motivation waste stop adding up the costs and just order all the parts. My wife just said dont half ass the build so buy the right parts that fit the project. I did a single pid 4500w system with 2 pumps.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
redman67
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

your going to waste it on something why not waste it on something cool

p1010044.jpg  

Because God hates it when you drink bad beer

Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #16
biertourist
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm with you on the discouragement during the build thing.

From: buying the wrong contactors (24volt coil), the SwitchCraft connectors taking 2 days to build, always forgetting to pickup some small spade connector or something minor, my welder being TERRIBLE and warping my HLT and Kettle and giving them both just terrible terrible welds including welding the element TC fitting in the wrong place; buying the wrong PID controller, frying my power-on switch, and finding out that my apartment is only supplying 207v on my 240v line... Then finding out that because of my kettle warping my false bottom no longer fits...

All when I just want to be able to make beer again...

There's NO WAY I'll ever get rid of my current brewery before finishing the build on my new brewery that's my lesson learned. If I could keep on brewing beer in the midst of all these setbacks it wouldn't be a big deal.

Lesson Learned #1: The next brewery gets built before this one gets sold FOR SURE.

Lesson Learned #2: Don't go with a stainless welder who hasn't done sanitary welding before and who won't give you an estimated completion date. Find a welding supply shop and ask for a recommendation; do NOT find a "welder" based upon a business card being dropped off at a home brew shop. -Just pay the people you're buying your kettle from to add a 2" tri clamp ferrule for you; even if it costs $60 for a single weld; it's worth it.

Lesson Learned #3: Other people don't give a **** about your brewery like you do; it might
sound difficult but if those other idiots can do it, you can do it; just learn how and do it yourself. As long as you followed Lesson #1 above, it doesn't matter if it takes a while to do it right.

Lesson Learned #4: The vessel cost isn't half the price; the various fittings and ball valves and the control panel will cost AT LEAST that much even if you go with high-end vessels.

Lesson Learned #5: Plasma cutters are @#$@# awesome and make super fast cuts but they make VERY rough cuts; don't even think about it if you don't have a bench grinder and grinding wheel. P.S. Plasma cutters are @#$@# Awesome!

Adam
Did I remember to say that plasma cutters are awesome?
P.P.S. If you talk to a welder about welding your brewery equipment and they even SAY "MIG" -run away as fast as you can! This is not a small detail; when you're first learning about it and researching you'll see online that both can technically weld stainless but only TIG is even REMOTELY acceptable for a brewing application. Even offering MIG as a solution for a split second means that you're dealing with a crack-pot who happens to have a welder in his garage at home and who likes to drink beer and has aspirations of making money on the side. RUN AWAY and take your brewing equipment with you!!!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #17
biertourist
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus53219 View Post
It's almost bittersweet when the build is complete. You will be looking for another project when you are finished.
I think that's true for SOME people. Some folks seem to love building brewing equipment more than making beer and I love that we have them on these boards, but I actually want to make beer.

I like the engineering and planning aspects but the physical build is something that I do as a cost saving measure only.

Some people get giddy as the idea of troubleshooting something wrong with their (or someone else's control panel); again, some of us just want to make beer and want equipment that helps us to do that in the best way possible.

No bitter, only sweet once this thing finally gets fired up and I can actually focus on the beer vs. the beer making equipment again.

Adam

Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #18
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biertourist View Post
I think that's true for SOME people. Some folks seem to love building brewing equipment more than making beer and I love that we have them on these boards, but I actually want to make beer.
+1 to that. I had zero interesting in building mine. I wanted to buy something and be done with. Problem is that I couldn't find anything that met my needs so I had to build my own. I don't ever want to open the control panel or have to replace any parts, so I went with what I'd consider mostly industrial, easy to service parts. I just want to make beer.

Kal

Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #19
sTiNkFiZzle
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Fizzycist...I have felt your pain(and still feeling it). I am so close myself and all these words of encouragement have made me feel better today
My number one regret so far? Not knowing biertourist #1 Rule: The next brewery gets built before this one gets sold FOR SURE.
This project would have been alot more enjoyable drinking my own homebrew! After drilling holes in my kettles for water heating elements left me kettle-less.

What keeps me motivated is staying in my cooled/warmed garage while brewing instead of soaking wet outside in the middle of winter. And no more running out of propane and having to run to ACE for a refill.

@biertourist I love my plasma too....and I love my TIG welder even more

Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by biertourist View Post

Adam
Did I remember to say that plasma cutters are awesome?
P.P.S. If you talk to a welder about welding your brewery equipment and they even SAY "MIG" -run away as fast as you can! This is not a small detail; when you're first learning about it and researching you'll see online that both can technically weld stainless but only TIG is even REMOTELY acceptable for a brewing application. Even offering MIG as a solution for a split second means that you're dealing with a crack-pot who happens to have a welder in his garage at home and who likes to drink beer and has aspirations of making money on the side. RUN AWAY and take your brewing equipment with you!!!
I don't want to get into any welding debate but stainless can be welded for our purposes fine with a mig. We don't need sanitary welds on a hlt mlt or bk. All of my keggles were mig welded and look better than a lot of crappy tig welds I have seen posted on hbt. It's really the ability of the welder and teqnique not just the process.

Quick Reply