Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Contemplating E-HERMS w/ BCS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
OatStraw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Contemplating E-HERMS w/ BCS

I am wanting to do an E-HERMS system and have been thoroughly reading over the information and step at theelectricbrewery.com, but I think for the control piece I am going with the BCS to save money on that front.

One thing I've notice from PJ's wiring diagrams for 2 burners is there are still massive control boxes/panels that need to be created with Control Switches and such. I was under the impression that all control could be done through the web interface of the BCS, telling the elements & pumps to turn on/off. Is this not the case?

Also is there a gold standard build thread that I should follow on the BCS for a 3 keggle/kettle HERMS setup?

Kegged:
OatStraw Dog Tooth Stout; OatStraw Belgian Snow; OatStraw Kitchen Sink; OatStraw Spice Noel; OatStraw Ye Olde Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
tator2k
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I like having a manual control switch on the box w/o having to use th EPO. Because no matter how fast you are on the web interface it takes just a few seconds longer to apply and update before the change takes effect.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
OatStraw
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator2k View Post
I like having a manual control switch on the box w/o having to use th EPO. Because no matter how fast you are on the web interface it takes just a few seconds longer to apply and update before the change takes effect.
So what's the point of the BCS? Are you changing temperature manually with a PID?

Seems to me if you are using PIDs then the BCS is purely for logging.

Kegged:
OatStraw Dog Tooth Stout; OatStraw Belgian Snow; OatStraw Kitchen Sink; OatStraw Spice Noel; OatStraw Ye Olde Cider

Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have seen several designs with 3way switches for manual/off/auto(bcs) mode for elements and pumps. In theory you don't need this and everything can be run through bcs but it is nice to have a manual mode backup.

Bcs can provide pid functionality and additional automation. For every bcs output (5v?) you still need an ssr to control high voltage

Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jCOSbrew View Post
Bcs can provide pid functionality and additional automation. For every bcs output (5v?) you still need an ssr to control high voltage
And if you are concerned about the SSR leakage current and the potential for it to fail closed (on), then you also need a mechanical contactor and and a means to switch it, for each SSR.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
tator2k
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I do run run in manual/off/auto (bcs) mode with my switches. I think you're missing the pieces recommended for safety with using the SSRs and Contactors while working with high voltage.

Quick Reply