Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > conical fermenter heater/cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #41
kshuler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoman002 View Post
Hopefully this unit will give me what I want and that is to nudge the temp a few degrees one way or the other to keep it at optimum Ale temps.
It looks like you did not insulate the cone or the top... I wonder if doing so would make it function better? Also, the insulation you used is the reflectix type and the one used by the Morebeer conical is a different type--- would changing the insulation make it more efficient for dropping temps, do you think? The morebeer conical is insulated everywhere except where valves come out it looks like... you may be getting some heating from ambient from the non-insulated areas.

The thing about the exothermic reaction that has to be counteracted is quite true, however, fermentation may also help some with making cooling more efficient, as the continuous mixing of the beer will reduce localized cooling effects and bring more of the warm beer to the surface of the vessel faster. Might make cooling more efficient when you need it most?

Also, even with the perfectly fitting aluminum blocks, they are still NOT perfectly fitting. There are little microscopic air gaps that prevent efficient heat transfer. THe whole thing would work better if some sort of heat conductive paste were applied between the fermentor and aluminum blocks, although cleanup would be painful. Also thermal compounds seem quite expensive and you would need a lot. Does anybody know of a cheap way to get better contact between the aluminum blocks and the steel wall of the conical? I see these "thermal pads" on ebay like this, but I have no experience nd don't know how good they are as compared to metal to metal contact. Anyone have experience with these?

Klaus
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.bokehtests.com
http://web.mac.com/kshuler/Site/Welcome.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #42
JohnnyBe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thermal paste is the way to go. A small amount is needed since you want the coat to be as thin as possible between the block and your conical. The stuff with silver in it is what you want like this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007 This is going to help a lot with thermal transfer between the conical and cooling block. This is also what you should use between your peltier device and the cooling block.

The insulation that Morebeer uses (armaflex) has an R-Value of around 4.2. The reflective bubble insulation has a stated R- Value of 3.7 but there are several people who debate this and the main manufacturer doesn't list an r-value on their website since it is based on the specific application. With that said I would imagine that the aramflex insulation would maybe give you a higher r-value but I could be completely mistaken.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:23 AM   #43
fastev
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvklein View Post
Can someone point me in the direction of companies that will mill these blocks for a reasonable price? I'm having no luck at all.

thanks.
I can get more made. I went through a shop that I use at work all the time. I'd need to buy the metal but can have the blocks made. Keep in mind though, that I measured mine had blocks made for the eBay 7.3gal fermenters. I think the O.D. is the same as the Stout version so they should work.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #44
kshuler

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastev View Post
I can get more made. I went through a shop that I use at work all the time. I'd need to buy the metal but can have the blocks made. Keep in mind though, that I measured mine had blocks made for the eBay 7.3gal fermenters. I think the O.D. is the same as the Stout version so they should work.
If you can do this, I would gladly pay a bit extra for your trouble. I haven't tried to find a place to do the milling yet, but over the next few days that is going to be my goal. I have aluminum blocks since onlinemetals.com is located here in Seattle and does local pickup. But if I can't find a place to do the milling, it would be great if you could get a run made and then people could buy from you.

Klaus
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.bokehtests.com
http://web.mac.com/kshuler/Site/Welcome.html

Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #45
Ackroyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You might try quickparts. We use them sometimes at work, they are generally fast and fairly reasonable for small contract jobs. That being said they may still be a little expensive for hobby parts.

http://www.quickparts.com/home.aspx

Old 03-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #46
Banjoman002
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was thinking you could send me the blocks and I'd have the shop that did mine do it, but then it occurred to me they'd need to take measurements off your fermenter..they could use mine but I'd have to take all the stuff off of it and having just got it all on that does not appeal to me, Have you tried smaller outlying communities that may have shops with CNC machines?

Old 03-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #47
fastev
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshuler View Post
If you can do this, I would gladly pay a bit extra for your trouble. I haven't tried to find a place to do the milling yet, but over the next few days that is going to be my goal. I have aluminum blocks since onlinemetals.com is located here in Seattle and does local pickup. But if I can't find a place to do the milling, it would be great if you could get a run made and then people could buy from you.

Klaus
If you are in a bind let me know and I'll try to help out. I don't think I want to have a bunch of blocks made; I'm sure I'd end up sitting on them and out a bunch of money. People get really excited at the beginning and want in, but once it comes time to pay it's a different story.
Once I get my NC mill up and running it'll be a different story as I can make them myself quickly since I already wrote a program. Unfortunately, that is a ways out.
I might set up my rotary table and knock a couple out manually just to see how long it takes.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #48
rvklein
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

My fermenter has a 200mm radius. I already have the aluminum (8.75"x6"x1") The numbers I have are:

Arc Radius 200mm
Arv height 15.0950mm
Arc Width 6"
Arc Length 156.635mm

If someone is willing to do so could you get me a quote and I could ship you the blocks. I'd greatly appreciate it and will include some homebrew!

Old 03-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #49
Banjoman002
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd be more than happy to do that, though I'm a bit far from you (Washington State) I'll go out tomorrow and get you a quote.

Rich

Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #50
Banjoman002
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvklein View Post
My fermenter has a 200mm radius. I already have the aluminum (8.75"x6"x1") The numbers I have are:

Arc Radius 200mm
Arv height 15.0950mm
Arc Width 6"
Arc Length 156.635mm

If someone is willing to do so could you get me a quote and I could ship you the blocks. I'd greatly appreciate it and will include some homebrew!
I went out to Jetco today (They did my blocks) http://www.jetco-usa.com/
They quoted $80.00. If you want to send me your blocks and bucks I'll get them out there and ship them back at ya when they're finished.

Rich

Quick Reply