Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > conical fermenter heater/cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
Banjoman002
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Diagram didn't come thru but that sounds like a great idea, I've already got a fermwrap I'm using for heating so I'm sticking pretty much to the original document...I also have a Ranco controller to plug everything into. Going out today to see if I can find a shop with CNC machine to mill my aluminum.

Rich

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
DHdriver
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What size of peltier coolers are/have people used for this on what size of conical?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
kshuler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was planning on using 10 amp peltiers (TEC-12710), but scaled it back, as my power supply is rated for 20 watts continuous. I will run 9 amp pelters and use the same power supply to drive the fans-- don't want to overdo it. The conical is a 7.3 gal Stout Kettles and Tanks conical. It is approx 12 inches around.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.bokehtests.com
http://web.mac.com/kshuler/Site/Welcome.html

Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #14
JohnnyBe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm planning on doing the same thing with a 30 gallon conical and have enlisted the help of another forum member to help me size everything correctly. I currently plan to use two 177.1 watt TEC's on two aluminum cooling plates.

My main concern right now is sizing the heatsink correctly to remove the heat produced by the TEC's. I currently plan to use two large heatsinks (6"X12") and place two 120mm fans on each heatsink capable of 97.5cfm each for a total of 195cfm per cooling block. However I'm debating if I'd be better off using a smaller computer heatsink/fan combo. And another concern I have is finding a 24 v DC power supply(s) that is relatively inexpensive.

I will then use a heat wrap for heating and a BCS-462 controller to control fermentation temperature. By using the BCS I'll be able to log into the controller remotely and monitor/adjust fermentation settings as needed. This is the same controller that I will be using to control my all electric brewery.

I will also plan to wrap the conical in the same material Morebeer uses for theirs which I believe is armaflex.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #15
fastev
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Building two of these now. Marcb and I are basing ours off his 14 and 27-gallon Morebeer Ultimates, but the OP's link is basically the same thing. I just had the aluminum block made. I'll get the Peltier pads and heatsinks mounted to the blocks once I get my new milling machine set up.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
Iansir
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Anyone know what size / how many peltiers the morebeer conical uses? I see 2 pretty big fans in their photos.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #17
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I was thinking about a low cost, low tech version of this using a corney keg as the vessel to allow laggering of beer or for use as a portable keggerator. The temp controller could be an STC-1000 or similar.

Is the large AL block required between the peltier and the vessel? Another other options to facilitate good thermal transfer on the cooling side?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
rvklein
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

What Power supplies are you all using?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
kshuler

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I will be using a Jetstream JTPS31MB variable power supply. Don't have it yet. Can do 25 amps continuous. Got it used an relatively inexpensive on ebay. If you have an old computer, you can probably just use the PSU from it. Otherwise there are power supplies on ebay. An example would be use a megawatt 33amp (s-350-12) 12v power supply, that can give you 30 amps continuous. Can't vouch for quality, though.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.bokehtests.com
http://web.mac.com/kshuler/Site/Welcome.html

Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #20
Banjoman002
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Got my aluminum cold blocks milled...cost me 80 bucks...thought that was a bit much but at least it's done. I'm using 9 amp Peltiers and an old Dell PSU. Got it all hooked up and with the cold blocks laying on a rubber mat with temp sensor inserted in the curvature (not touching metal) temp dropped from 68F to 40F in about 15 minutes.

Quick Reply