Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Collecting parts for EBrew build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
vaheel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Collecting parts for EBrew build

I plan on using this box for my basic ebrew build that will consist of 1 PID controlling two elements (one at a time) with a main power switch, e-stop, and two pumps (using only one for now). The box for the control panel (inside dimensions are 12x10x5) is shown below. I would like to start ordering pieces this week. Will I need a Din rail for this back plate? I am hoping that P-J will see this and suggest a wiring diagram.

control-panel-box.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
moparx12
Recipes 

i would have a breaker for each pump and sure you could use a din rail style mount for that. as far as the e stop p-j has a great diagram that uses the GFCI function to trip the circuit without using a contactor.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You do realize the auber pid is nearly 5" long. Is there enough room for it to fit?

Old 02-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
You do realize the auber pid is nearly 5" long. Is there enough room for it to fit?
Dimension 48 x 48 x100 mm (WxHxD)
100 mm = 3.937 inches

Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 437

This should work for your setup.
Click on the image to see a fullscale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

Old 02-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
vaheel
Recipes 

P-J,

Thank you for taking time to do this. It it greatly appreciated!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
HopDr
Recipes 

I am doing an almost identical build now, sort of a simplified version of Kal's. I was planning on using 2 elements/2 PIDs but otherwise pretty much the same set up as you. I thought about doing 1 PID, but unless I am missing something (which is very possible) you will still need 2 SSRs/heatsinks, so I figured another PID was about $40, and will allow continuous monitoring of temps even when not firing the element. So it will save me the trouble/expense of putting regular thermometers in the HLT/BK, so it might actually be cheaper.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
brewhokie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopDr View Post
I am doing an almost identical build now, sort of a simplified version of Kal's. I was planning on using 2 elements/2 PIDs but otherwise pretty much the same set up as you. I thought about doing 1 PID, but unless I am missing something (which is very possible) you will still need 2 SSRs/heatsinks, so I figured another PID was about $40, and will allow continuous monitoring of temps even when not firing the element. So it will save me the trouble/expense of putting regular thermometers in the HLT/BK, so it might actually be cheaper.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
Actually you only need one SSR with the setup PJ showed above. Also since you pretty much always run your boil kettle in manual mode you would not see boil kettle temperature anyways.

One other added bonus is you don't need a probe in the boil kettle, because like I said above your running the boil in manual. Unless your planning on do back to back batches where you would run the HTL and BK at the same time there really is no need for 2 PIDS, SSR's and RTD's. Overall it saves close to $100 and really does not limit functionality. The only thing you might sacrifice is a bit of bling.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
stevehaun
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You could go even cheaper and just have one switch and outlet for the BK and HLT. Just turn off the switch, unplug the HLT and plug in the BK. This would also decrease (but not eliminate) your risk of dry firing an element.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
vaheel
Recipes 

P-J,

Would the wiring change much if I were to add two lights showing which element was powered up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
This should work for your setup.
Click on the image to see a fulscale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

Quick Reply