New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Cheap basic setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
cork44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cheap basic setup

Hi all, I have been pouring over threads for days now without finding exactly what I am looking for. I am going to be brewing in a single vessel BIAB keggle system. Seems like P-J is the man with the plan, so maybe he, or somebody else can help me. I want to switch to electric, and I need a cheap and easy setup. For right now, all I want is a controlled 5500W element, a temp probe, and a timer in one project box. Can somebody help me with the most basic setup for this? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #2
cork44
Recipes 

Also, I plan on installing 220V to my garage if I need to, but is it possible/practical to use 110V to boil 7gal? Thanks

Old 06-27-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 398

How about this setup?

(Click on the image to see a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper 11" x 17")

I places indicator lights for each device. You can choose to use them or not.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:16 AM   #4
cork44
Recipes 

Thanks P-J. Is there one site I can order all of the electronics I need from? Sorry to be a pain, but can you give me part numbers for everything I would need. Thanks again, I knew you would come through. Cheers!

Old 06-27-2011, 03:34 AM   #5
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork44 View Post
Thanks P-J. Is there one site I can order all of the electronics I need from? Sorry to be a pain, but can you give me part numbers for everything I would need. Thanks again, I knew you would come through. Cheers!
Welcome.

Re: ordering parts: No - the pieces will have to be ordered from several sites. It'll take a little while but, I'll put together a list for you. Do you have Microsoft Excel available on your computer? I ask as that is the tool I use to compile my source information. It works well for me as you can click on links to see the parts and then order the parts by vendor.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I ordered the $19 PID and a $13 40 amp SSR with heat sink and a $5 PWM off ebay, and a 50 cent wall wart from a yard sale, If it works I will be to my element hard wired, for under $50 with full controll.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
cork44
Recipes 

Thanks P-J, I do have excel, and that would be awesome if you can make a list for me. I want this done cheaply, but also I want it done right. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
P-J
Recipes 

The list is an Excel spread sheet named Brew_Parts_Order.xls that I have illustrated as a picture. The picture is too small to read - BUT - if you click on the image you can download the spread sheet. You can open it and/or save it on your system.

The sheet is protected so that you can navigate it easily. (It is not security code protected so that you can make changes to the content if you so choose) While it is protected you can change the quantity of any item you wish to add or remove. Just use the TAB key to navigate. Columns Vendor and URL are clickable. When you click on them, they will bring you to the vendors site or to the specific item listed.

BTW, you must save the spread sheet on your system if you want to keep any changes. You cannot modify my master copy.

The second page of the sheet contains the illustrations of GFCI protection for a system using a HomeDepot - GE 50A Spa Panel.

I hope all of this helps you.

Wishing you the best,
P-J

Old 06-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
VonMessa
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
The list is an Excel spread sheet named Brew_Parts_Order.xls that I have illustrated as a picture. The picture is too small to read - BUT - if you click on the image you can download the spread sheet. You can open it and/or save it on your system.

The sheet is protected so that you can navigate it easily. (It is not security code protected so that you can make changes to the content if you so choose) While it is protected you can change the quantity of any item you wish to add or remove. Just use the TAB key to navigate. BTW, you must save it on your system if you want to keep any changes. You cannot modify my master copy.

The second page of the sheet contains the illustrations of possible GFCI protection for a system using a Lowe's - GE 50A Spa Panel.

I hope this helps you.

P-J
It doesn't get much easier/simpler than that

Für lange zu leben, ist wie eine Katze und trinkt wie ein Hund!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
cork44
Recipes 

That is just too cool. I really appreciate your help. You saved me a lot of time and frustration. Hopefully other people can use this too, as it is a great, simple setup. Cheers to you, P-J!

Quick Reply