Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Can elements or weldings give the beer a metallic taste?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Patricknobles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can elements or weldings give the beer a metallic taste?

Hi guys

For my first e-BIAB I brewed a belgian IPA. It is ending fermentation and I just took a taste and it has a strong metallic flavor. I have been brewing decent beer for a few years, and don't think it is an issue of the beer becoming oxidized.

My initial thoughts are: the weldings where the heating elements are leaked in off-flavors or the heating elements tainted the taste of the beer. Could it be all the new cams and hoses?

I have a stainless steel 52 quart system, 2 1500w elements, recirculating pump, etc.

I cleaned the pot before use and etc...this is a disapointment for my new system. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
tphjr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have brewed for a long time in my brew pot & it has one of the 1650 watt zinc plated elements installed through the side and I have not had any issues.

I use the plug-in element along with my stove top to brew my beer.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I could see an issue if you did not thoroughly clean all the welds, new fittings and such, but otherwise you should not have a problem with normal welds and fittings.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
Patricknobles
Recipes 

I use starsan, is there something better?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Out of left feild - how old was your grain? and how long did it sit around crushed before you brewed with it? Metalic taste could be from stall grain (and if you were building a new system I could see how grain could sit around longer than it should, always takes me 2x the time I allow to actually complete something )

Old 04-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricknobles View Post
I use starsan, is there something better?
Starsan is a sanitizer, not a cleaner. Soak in Oxyclean or PBW, scrub if necessary, then rinse thoroughly, then Starsan. The Starsan is not really necessary if we are talking about the hot side of the brewery.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Patricknobles
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2
Out of left feild - how old was your grain? and how long did it sit around crushed before you brewed with it? Metalic taste could be from stall grain (and if you were building a new system I could see how grain could sit around longer than it should, always takes me 2x the time I allow to actually complete something )
I bought the grain the day before from the LHBS. I believe it's fresh. Good thought though.

Quick Reply