Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Camco 1500 watt ULWD Elements

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
sethhobrin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post

This might be what you bought, but it isn't what you got.

Yup really wish I could find that one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #12
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There is a better one out there - a 1650 watt low density element manufactured by Emmerson.
http://www.drillspot.com/products/83082/Chromalox_SG2167L_430537_Electric_Replacement_Wate r_Heater_Element

Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thargrav View Post
There is a better one out there - a 1650 watt low density element manufactured by Emmerson.
http://www.drillspot.com/products/83082/Chromalox_SG2167L_430537_Electric_Replacement_Wate r_Heater_Element
I have one of those as well. I can't believe the two I got aren't ULWD. I was just thinking the other day that it didn't make sense that they were so much smaller than my 1650w element yet they were supposedly ULWD. Grrrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
sethhobrin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I have one of those as well. I can't believe the two I got aren't ULWD. I was just thinking the other day that it didn't make sense that they were so much smaller than my 1650w element yet they were supposedly ULWD. Grrrr.
I only wish i could find a 240v version.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can wire two of the 1650 watt elements in series for one ULWD 3300 watt element set. Or you can wire 4 in series / parallel for one ULWD 6600 watt element set that will draw about 27.5 amps from a dryer circuit.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thargrav View Post
You can wire two of the 1650 watt elements in series for one ULWD 3300 watt element set. Or you can wire 4 in series / parallel for one ULWD 6600 watt element set that will draw about 27.5 amps from a dryer circuit.
Personally I like being able to switch each element on/off at will. Helps control a boil or keep sparge/strike water just where I want it.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 548 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 421

My Camco 02853 came from hardwareandtools.com today. No better than Amazon. I got the same mislabled 02852 element from them too. Now I just have to hope that their return policy is as good as Amazon.

Going to give the Drill Spot element a try.

That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Great customer service from Hardware and Tools!

Quote:
Thank you for ordering from hardwareandtools.com, I apologize for the inconvenience of receiving an incorrect item. I have spoken with Camco regarding the element. They have stated that the part number is not the reason for the item being different. The 02852 is labeled on the part because that is how they sell it in bulk, without packaging or shrink wrap. Once the item is carded it becomes Model 02853. However, their engineering department did make a change to Model 02852/02853. They made the item shorter, but state that it works the same as it did before and should not be an issue if you were replacing that older version of the same model. Since we listed the item incorrectly when we stated that it was 12 inches, we have issued you a full refund back to your original form of payment. We do not need to receive the item back, you may discard of it. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience and if you have any further questions, or concerns, please feel free to contact me direct.

--
Stephanie
Customer Service
Hardware and Tools Corp.
540-572-4000 Ext. 1001
stephanie@hardwareandtools.com
I guess that if you're heating water in a water heater the length doesn't matter. Just the wattage, so replacing with a shorter element is not a problem. Still, they really should stop advertising it as ULWD.
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #19
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Great customer service from Hardware and Tools!

I guess that if you're heating water in a water heater the length doesn't mater. Just the wattage, so replacing with a shorter element is not a problem. Still, they really should stop advertising it as ULWD.
FREEEE!!

Beverage Factory is replacing my regulator and doesn't want old one back either. Always nice when that happens.

Quote:

Old 06-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

What attracted me to this thread was the topic of 120V ULWD elements. Stupid idea, I know, but what I've been experimenting with is a direct heat EMLT with an element in the tun instead of recirculation. Even with stirring while the element is on, scorching can be a problem.

So, here's my recent thought. Since finding the right element in a 120 version has been a problem, will a 240 element wired to 120 work? You'd get 1/4 the rated wattage, so a 4500W element would become 1125W. In a fold back element, that may be about the right watt density to not scorch the mash, but still be enough heat for holding mash temperatures and gradual steps.

Quick Reply