Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > The braumiser, my braumeister inspired rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #51
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurratt View Post
I just received my new Braumeister. There was no power cord to received the electric power to run the unit. I had an electrician put in 240 outlet, no cord to plug in the unit. Should the come with a power cord? MoreBeer said should my electrician change I out. Can you help me with this issue?
You should have recieved a power plug but it won't fit our outlets. You will need to modify the end of the cord to fit our American outlets. There is a huge Braumeister thread around here somewhere that has a step by step on how to do this. I would search it out for you but I am on my phone.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #52
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I found it!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/spei...ml#post3446632

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #53
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwilson View Post
I have forked the code on github (at least I think I did). Here is the link:
https://github.com/mdwilson/braumiser-controller
I swapped the output pins for the buzzer and pump, so you will want to swap them back if you are using the actual Brauduino hardware.
Does this code have the fix that Steve mentions above?

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #54
matho
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS223 View Post
Does this code have the fix that Steve mentions above?
yes it does.

One thing I have noticed is that the pump is not on during the boil, the reason I put the pump on up until 94 deg c is so that the wort stuck in the pump and plumbing gets up to a good temperature to sanitise it.

cheers steve

Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 AM   #55
mdwilson
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Not a bad idea on the pump during boil, but mine is a BIAB set-up. I close the spiggot and disconnect the pump and hoses right when removing the malt.

I did find the pump rest issue, and fixed it, but I thought I had caused it with the changes I made.

I tried the system for the first actual brew session today. I made a Nut Brown Ale. It was not without a few snags, but the good news is that it is fermenting now.
1. The temp sensor glitched during mash in and told me to add malt early. I ignored and restarted the brew process (if this happens again I may make the code check three successive temp readings before starting the stage timer).
2. The temp sensor froze at 131F during the mash. I caught it before the heat ran away. I paused the system, unplugged the temp probe, and re-connected. It was fine after that.
3. After the pump rest the pump did not come back on. Actually the pump completely failed. I continued by stirring the mash. The boil went fine; ran it at 70% heat and 100% for the last 10 min to concentrate the wort a little further.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #56
matho
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have never had a DS18B20 freeze on me but it could be that I poll it to see when the conversion has taken place and then read the temperature then. This can only be done if the DS18B20 is being powered and not in parasite mode. I would check the DS18B20 too.

cheers steve

Old 12-11-2012, 05:05 AM   #57
mdwilson
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I found that pin 3 of the DS18B20 had become shorted to the thermowell which is connected to ground. The Arduino and DS18B20 are floating, so it does not affect their operation functionally, but there could be noise issues.
I was able to pull the thermal sensor out and re-pot it with high-temp RTV.

I was trying to mod the code to check if more that 1 second had passed since conversion start before the conversion was complete and flag an error, but this is not the only error case. I found that unplugging the thermal sensor would not induce an error and partially plugging it in and getting a reading stuck at 185F (actual temp was 72F) would also not cause an error. So, for now I'm going to assume that re-potting the sensor will fix the problem and not add any additional software checks.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #58
came2meca
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I'm using a logic level MOSFET to drive the pump instead of a relay (I may use the PWM capability at some point to control the pump flow rate).
I am planing to use a solid state relay to turn on/off the pump and the heating element... I have no idea if i have to change anything in the code if i'm not using "MOSFET" or "FET" as you do. Also if you have any newer versions of the code whould you be kind enough to post it.

I already have the circuit on the prototype board and i'm planing to make a homemade shield for my arduino.

Thank you. A.C.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #59
mdwilson
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hi A.C.

You shouldn't need to change anything in the code to use an SSR in place of the logic level FET.
I have not made any changes to the code from what was posted.

I have brewed a couple of times on the system and everything seems to work great. I really like it.

Good luck with your project. Let us know how it goes.

-Mike

Old 05-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #60
saviothecnic
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by matho View Post
so I have finished developing the brauduino shield to control a braumeister style brew rig.
Very Interesting I read from Italy sorry if I write bad use google translator

I have some beer I've always liked best Braumeister but it costs too much

I know electronics mechanics so this topic will Daiuto me and I want to try it myself to do it from me to Braumeister

You tell me latest firmware Arduino and the wiring diagram to use?

What can be used Arduino 2009 I'm already seeing someone who is resisting tailored to a maximum of 30 Litres 23 230V 1800W okay?

How circulator pump is fine by boiler or solar panel?

----------

In Italiano per i connazionali che leggono

Molto Interessante Io leggo da Italia scusate se scrivo male uso google traduttore

Faccio birra da qualche hanno mi è sempre piacuto braumeister ma costa troppo

Ho conoscenze meccanica elettronica quindi questo topic mi sara daiuto e voglio provare anche io a fare da me il braumeister

Mi dite ultima versione del firmware arduino e dello schema elettrico da usare ?

Cosa si usa Arduino 2009 sto vedendo gia uno che fa resistenza su misura per 23 massimo 30 Litri va bene 1800W 230V ?

Come pompa va bene cirrcolatore da caldaia o per pannello solare ?

Quick Reply