The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > The braumiser, my braumeister inspired rig

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
matho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default The braumiser, my braumeister inspired rig

I have been wanting to build a small batch brewery for a while now so last year I started to build a 9 liter (2.5 gal) braumeister style rig. I started off with a 20l ( 5.3 gal) pot which i added 3 feet to and a center rod. I then added a 1.75 kw low density (35w/square inch) electric element and a pump, I first started off with a small 12v pump that said it was made out of food grade plastic but after a couple of uses there was still a strong plastic flavor and smell coming off it so i changed to a march pump. I made a controller based on a PIC 18F2520 microcontroller and i programmed it to follow the braumeister controller. There is basically 3 selections, manual, auto and setup, in manual mode the temp is adjusted by the up and down buttons and the pump and heating elements are turned on and off by the enter and start buttons, this allows you to control it completely manually but with a PID algorithm controlling the temperature. The auto mode runs off a preset number of steps that is entered in the setup menu, there are 6 steps available, a mash in step plus 5 others, a boil time of up to 2 hr. I have deviated from the braumeister by adding 5 hop addition alarms, a delay start of up to 18hrs and the ability to jump steps in the auto mode. I have brewed on it a number of times now and have found a problem with the initial design of the top filter plate which i have fixed.
here a a few pics

I have also created a ZIP file with a few PDF's on the build and also the HEX file for the PIC and the picbasic code for it

http://www.mediafire.com/?ldfgsrmu6l3iapi

cheers steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

wow! When I first clicked on this thread and quickly scanned through the pics, I honestly thought it was a braumeister that you modded. good job on replicating it!!

Where do you get that bendable heating element?

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
matho
Recipes 

here in OZ i got it from a place called thermal electric elements, I did a quick search and found thishttp://www.omega.com/toc_asp/subsect...subsection=e01 place in the US that sells them. I was fairly difficult to bend the tight radius bends and if i did it again i would ask the factory to do it, after all when I'm paying $130 for a 316 stainless steel element I'm sure they could bend it for me with not too much extra charge

cheers

Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
hrafnkell
Recipes 

Nice! How do you seal the bottom when mashing?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
matho
Recipes 

as can be seen in the top photo the small pot holds the grain, it has the bottom cut out of it and i used 3/8 heavy duty silicon hose for the seal on the bottom, then there is a bottom filter plate with filter material, then the grain and then a top filter plate with filter material, all held in place by the top bar and wing nut
Ill post pictures when i can

Old 01-31-2012, 04:13 AM   #6
matho
Recipes 

here are some photo's

maltpipe5ahb.jpg   maltpipe1-7.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #7
shutupjojo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If I were you , start producing more models and look for temporary investors and
disposable income.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
matho
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupjojo View Post
If I were you , start producing more models and look for temporary investors and
disposable income.
hehe as I'm ripping off the braumeister I don't know how well that would go down.
The reason I made all the information available is I want people to go out and make one.
After a few requests here in Australia for the controller I'm working on a Braumiser shield for the Arduino I have already made a prototype board and I'm working on a program for it, being arduino based it will be open sourced, I am planning on getting 10 PCB's made up for here in Australia.
braumiserv2_2.jpg   braumiser_7.jpg  
Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
hrafnkell
Recipes 

Looks like a nice solution!

I have a similar system, but I opted to just pump water on top of the grain bed, instead of under it. Reason why I did it because I had issues finding a heating element that isn't in the way and because I wasn't sure how to get the seal between the bottom and the "mash tun". Works out pretty darn well. I was going to create some kind of controller for alarms and such but currently am just using a auber instruments pid controller.

What do you use as a filter where the wort leaves the internal mash tun?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
matho
Recipes 

the bottom filter is made out of polyester sheer material, the same stuff as hop bags are made out of and the top filter is made out of an IKEA splatter guard so its fine stainless steel mesh

Quick Reply