Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Botched element install - advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #1
dragonlor20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default Botched element install - advice needed

I have been trying to complete my electric brewery over the last two days and I am not having a whole lot of success. I am using all weldless fittings. My water heater element really seemed to struggle with leaks - I may have finally fixed that issue, but when I potted my element with jb weld, the jb weld didn't set properly. Now I am left with a black, sticky, goopy mess. I think where I went wrong was trying to mix the steel and hardener in the end cap rather than a separate container.

I am trying to pot the element in a PVC end cap which would be attached via a weldless fitting to my brew kettle. Ideally, I want to install two such elements. So now what I need help with is this:

Should I just dump hardener in the end cap and see what happens or should I use some other solution like squirting epoxy around the edges and in the slot where the power cable comes out the back and let that harden around the job weld? Or will the jb weld eventually harden up?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. We are well past 24 hours now and I was using the quick set version of jb weld. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't dump hardener in there, it won't mix properly and you'll just have more goop. Also, simply epoxying around the cord will not fix the issue in the cap, which is that the epoxy hasn't properly cured.

I would recommend starting over. You could try to pull it all apart and clean the element base, but any solvent that will sufficiently clean the partly cured epoxy will most likely compromise the integrity of the plastic postion of the element. If it were my system I'd chalk it up to a learning experience, get a new element and cap, clip the existing cord as close to the cap as possible and do it over. Next time mix the epoxy in a separate container and pour it into the cap.

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 12-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
bf514921
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would second triggers suggestion. Clip it buy another element and plastic coupler. You don't want a short or soemthing in that element trying to clean it. 120v tingles, 240 hurts

Old 12-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
pecor
Recipes 

Well I just did a Goggle on it. Use {WD-40} Clean it off the best ya can use {Q-tips} ,Then clean off the WD40 with some Nail polish remover. And re-glue or pot it Jay P/S the {quick JB is only half the strength of regular}, Use regular JB only

Last edited by pecor; 12-30-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typo

Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
dragonlor20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Good advice all around guys. I will probably clip it and repot with regular jb weld mixed in another container.

Quick Reply