Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Bolts Electric Brewery Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
bolts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Bolts Electric Brewery Build

Edits/Updates
- Linked up various posts throughout the thread on the build
- Posted the final schematic below
- Posted the Bill of Materials here and in post #60
- Added my "What I would do differently" in post #61

It's time to start the build thread. Inspired by Kal's setup and a bunch of threads here, I've embarked on my own electric brewery upgrade. I've been successfully brewing all grain with an orange cooler and a 10g blichmann over propane for a number of years. The beer has been great. However, the consistency has been sketchy to recreate batches -- mostly mash temps and boil-off rate. Moving to HERMS and electric should address the consistency -- and it's just fun to build stuff. I'm also moving up to 10 gallon capacity.

The kettles are finally here, a 20 gallon setup from Stout Tanks with additional fittings for electric elements. I think I have all the control panel parts and my electric permit is in hand to run the new circuits in the garage.

The control panel is a 'light' version of Kal's. I dropped the voltage/amperage meters, the timer and the alarm switches -- but kept all 3 PIDs. I also combined the switches and pilot lights where possible. I have some future plans to switch from the Auber PIDs to Arduino control -- slowly.

The TODO list isn't too long, but I'll keep a running log of projects here. This includes adding the new circuits (30a and others), the control panel build and the brew space. I've convinced myself I can build a concrete bench/countertop for the kettles; should be fun.

Before...

After...

Final Schematic

Available as a PDF or Visio

Bill of Materials
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1e8w9kr0okyuwp/Parts.xlsx

Commentary in post #60

Build Updates

Installing the new 30a wiring & Drywall back on

Waterjet Cut Panel

Wiring the Panel

Panel is tested and installed

Building a Bench

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
bolts
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

My garage is 2 cars wide, with a rather deep tandem on the right side. The brew space is going in the back of the tandem which gives me easy access to water, sewer (drain), an exterior wall for ventilation and electric.

Today I started the electric work. I'm running a 30amp line for the control panel straight to the back. I'm running 2 20 amp circuits for my workbench. Finally, I'm extending an existing outlet to overhead lights (switched) and a switched receptacle for the ventilation fan. Should be pretty darn easy given it's a straight 30' shot (famous last words).

Tomorrow I'll drill the studs and run the lines (10-3 in one, x2 12-2 in another) and extend the existing circuit.

Looking towards the back with the drywall cut.

...and looking back to the front with the studs exposed.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm intrigued by your thoughts and would like to subscribe to your newsletter....

Man, I've been agonizing over the decision whether to set up my electric brewery in my garage or my basement... this thread could certainly push me towards the garage...

And now you see that Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb!

Old 06-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
smoothlarryhughes
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you have a wiring diagram for the control panel you could share?

Old 06-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
bolts
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothlarryhughes View Post
Do you have a wiring diagram for the control panel you could share?
I do -- I'll get it posted later tonight after I have a chance to do another pass on it. Heading out to the garage for some drilling and wiring...

Edit - added the diagram. I haven't done the final check yet, I'll post the final when I build the control panel.

Edit #2 -- latest diagram linked.

Edit #3 -- final diagram

Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
bolts
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Drilling holes in single 2x6's is easy. Drilling holes in a stack of 5 or 6 2x6's with a dull 16" spade bit on a 90 degree angle adapter is painful. I spent what felt like forever drilling holes today. What a PITA. My drill couldn't muster enough power to spin the auger bit, so I had to use a spade bit -- which meant a whole lot of pushing and pulling. However, it's done.

For the electricians out there -- let me know if you spot something fishy, or likely to get rejected during the electrical inspection.

The 3 new lines enter from the top left. x1 10-3 and x2 12-2. Just need to hook up the breakers.

2 new GFCI outlets for my workbench

The 3 gang on the left will contain a switch for overhead lights and 2 more outlets continued from the 2 gfci. The box on the right is an existing line terminated in a junction box. It will get extended to the ventilation fan outlet and switch and the overhead lights.

Finally, the most important outlet -- the 30a dryer receptacle. The blue tape outlines the control panel that will go right next to it.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
grunewaldj
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Love it. Keep the pics coming.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
bolts
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Still making progress.

The wiring passed the inspections and has juice, and I can get on with my favorite activity of all time .... mudding drywall :/ Here's the important one. 30 amps of GFCI goodness and an outlet for the eventual vent fan.

The control panel enclosure is with Jim of portlandwaterjet.com waiting to get cut. He has a jig so he can cut the bottom also -- pix as soon as I get it back.

I picked up a sink today. It has a huge 24" x 24" bowl w/ a right drainboard. Should make cleanup tolerable. I also got a rinse arm and a "pot filler" that will be used for filling and chilling with hose on the end.

Finally, some real brew bling -- I did a dry run of the fittings minus hoses. I'm still a few clamps short, but otherwise it's coming together. This are stout tank 20g kettles and a bunch of stainless from brewershardware.com

Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
wncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice, looking forward to seeing this build thru

Old 07-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
HHP
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I see its already run, did you consider a larger GA wire (6 AWG perhaps?) while its open in case you want to run something larger in the future ... TIG welder?

When I ran my outlet, i just ran 10AWG UF wire and pretty much as soon as I filled in the hole I realized I didnt want to dig it up again at a later date, and should have installed wire larger than was necessary...

Texas is awesome.

Quick Reply