Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electric Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/)
-   -   Boil Kettle Ideas needed (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/boil-kettle-ideas-needed-383989/)

Coffee_Creek 01-23-2013 08:15 PM

Boil Kettle Ideas needed
 
I'm about to start welding out my keg's for the eherms system that I'm building and not sure of the best way to build the BK to keep trub out and have good flow. Any suggestions?

jCOSbrew 01-24-2013 12:05 AM

I use a paint strainer bag for hops. There are other options for filtering hops or you could use a hop stopper or false bottom in the kettle.

Coffee_Creek 01-24-2013 12:37 AM

Do you think using a false bottom would allow me to use a bottom drain?

runs4beer 01-24-2013 02:04 AM

I have flat bottom kettles with a false bottom, I put my bottom drain off centered, I get a nice trub cone in the center after a 15 minute whirlpool. if I toss an oz of whole cones in I get next to no trub or pellet bits in my fermentors.

BadNewsBrewery 01-24-2013 11:04 AM

Are you planning to bottom drain by using the original hole in the keg where the spear goes? That would eliminate any possibility of you whirlpooling, unless you whirlpooled and then poured your first bit from the keg directly into the trash. Might actually be a good way to clear out most of the hop gunk.

Coffee_Creek 01-24-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery (Post 4820167)
Are you planning to bottom drain by using the original hole in the keg where the spear goes? That would eliminate any possibility of you whirlpooling, unless you whirlpooled and then poured your first bit from the keg directly into the trash. Might actually be a good way to clear out most of the hop gunk.

Was not planning on a bottom drain but adding a 2" Tri Clover for a clean out. I was thinking of using something like Sabco's racking arm.

runs4beer 01-24-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee_Creek (Post 4822668)
Was not planning on a bottom drain but adding a 2" Tri Clover for a clean out. I was thinking of using something like Sabco's racking arm.

I've thought about doing something like that. One way would be to weld a spud or a 1/2 coupler on the bottom 2-3 inches from the keggle wall for a wort out port away from the trub cone. That way you could avoid a dip tube, have your port below the false bottom, have a big CIP port at the bottom and still whirlpool.

Coffee_Creek 01-25-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runs4beer (Post 4822813)
I've thought about doing something like that. One way would be to weld a spud or a 1/2 coupler on the bottom 2-3 inches from the keggle wall for a wort out port away from the trub cone. That way you could avoid a dip tube, have your port below the false bottom, have a big CIP port at the bottom and still whirlpool.

Would draining through the bottom thru a false bottom and into a filter like brewers hardware sells work?

runs4beer 01-25-2013 08:20 PM

I’ve not seen brewer’s hardware’s trub filter in action but from what I understand it would do the job all on it’s own. I feel get similar results with out a $130 filter by adding an ounce of whole cone hops (low AA%, neutral aroma if need be) at knock out and recirculating through the false bottom (5-10 minutes) and then I continue recirculation with the immersion chiller in place. I think that the false bottom wouldn’t do much in the way of catching the pellet particle without the whole cone hops; the recirculation will reduce the trub with out a false bottom. My thought is the whole cones catch the pellet and then the whole cone + pellet catch the bulk of the cold break trub.

Both together might remove too much trub..?

jyorger 01-25-2013 11:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have a whirlpool boil keggle. I have bottom dump to clean and an outlet where the bottom curve of the keg is to drain wort.

Attachment 96593



Attachment 96594



Attachment 96596

I use a pump to improve the whirlpool and welded pegs in to hold a damn to help keep the cone of hops and break material from exiting keg.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:49 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.