Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Blichmann or Spike Kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
BroadStreetBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blichmann or Spike Kettle

I have been lurking here for some time now and I am finally able to set up an electric system. Kind of torn between Blichmann and Spike Kettle and can't make up my mind.

Some questions:

I am not made of money, but like to invest wisely. IF, this endeavor and investment turns into something bigger down the road, are weldless fittings ok for commercial use? Up to proper health code regulations?

How have the welds been holding up for you all who own a Spike?

Any other thoughts are welcome.

I like to read and plan things, but just can't find the answer for the fittings and commercial health codes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
kickflip_mj
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 3

First off what size kettles are you thinking about getting? Im not sure the kettles both companies offer would allow you to go "commercial".

Dont forget http://conical-fermenter.com/products/.. they are about the same price as both mentioned above for 45+ gal kettles.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
BroadStreetBrewery
Recipes 

20 gallons. Just thinking small scale.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 22

The Spike Brewing kettles are said to have "Sanitary Welds". I have one of their 20 gallon kettles with 3 welded couplers. There are no integrity issues with the welds so far, it has been a great kettle! I will say that the welds on my kettle aren't a pretty as what is shown on their website but apparently are examples of a sanitary weld.

I chose Spike Brewing over Blichmann for the lower cost plus the good reviews I had read and I lucked into a "group buy" event that happened when I was looking. I think they are comparable in construction except for maybe in the appearance department. However I'm guessing even a Blichmann's Bling would dull over time and multiple brew day's.

I do think that the Spike Brewing Kettle is a quality product that will last me a very long time. I would buy another one!

No idea about actual health codes regarding welded fittings but I would guess there may be verbiage about the use of "sanitary welds". Spike does that!

Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 343 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I love my Blich kettle, plan to get one more if I get a holiday bonus this year. I especially love the sight glass quality and ease of maintenance. I know 3 breweries that use Blich for small batches, so I assume there aren't restrictions.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 09-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
beer1976
Recipes 

I have spike's 25 gallon and the 45 gallon kettles with sight glass and and ports for all the calving and temp probe , and it works awesome and is well worth it to buy these over blichman.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Roadie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Agree with kickflip in that you should also check out Stout Kettles which is the route I'm going. Downside to that though is the time it takes to get them in - in my case December.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie
Agree with kickflip in that you should also check out Stout Kettles which is the route I'm going. Downside to that though is the time it takes to get them in - in my case December.
+1. I got my 15 gallon setup with 2" TC element port from them and love 'em. Great quality, long wait. I ordered mine in early April and got them mid-August. Price with shipping was close to $1800.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
BugHunter
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I actually just got done with planning out a three vessel 15 gallon electric system with Kristin from Stout Kettles and they're anticipating shipment in late October. They're a little pricy but, once you factor in the ports and tri-clover valves, hose barbs, and the like they're not much more expensive than if you were to buy through other sources. One of by buddies has a kettle through them and they were my go-to choice from the moment I started saving up for my own system. I could,if I wanted to, have stood on the tri-clover kettle outlet ferrule without hurting it in least. When they say "stout kettles" they're not kidding. For about $200 in shipping and $1800 in parts I'm looking at an electric kettle with whirlpool capability and an electric port, bottom-outlet recirculating mash tun w/ sparge arm, and a recirculating electric HERMS HLT, all with all the valves, barbs, and port caps I need to plug and play. These are all hefty 15 gallon capacity vessels and I doubt I'll ever have to upgrade again (unless I lose my mind and try to go pro).

Old 10-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #10
schwartzr33
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I have a 20 gallon Spike with two welds and a cutout for an element. I've done about 6 brews on it and love it. I'm no expert, but the welds seem good to me.

Quick Reply