New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > BIAB Bag in contact with the element?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
mavrick1903
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default BIAB Bag in contact with the element?

Do I need to care? It's been suggested by the wise that I should rig a false bottom, but it seems like if I do this I loose the bottom two gallons of space in the keg to keep the bag submerged in? Do I need a heat shield for the element itself then? Suggestions? Planning on recirc during mash and would like to maintain/adjust temps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

Some have seen some scorching on teh bag...some haven't. With my original setup, I chose not to press my luck and bought a cake rack to sit on the bottom of the kettle. This was before I have the heating element (still propane) but both the element, pickup tube and thermo all fit under the rack no problem. I have since moved to a steamer basket for my turkey fryer so I was able to ditch the cake rack altogether.

It would help to know the dimmensions of your kettle (diameter at the bottom) and we can try to find a cheap solution.

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 09-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 26

You can make a U-shaped cover for the element by bending some thin guage perforated stainless. Just an idea.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 09-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use a SS steamer rack I bought at a restaurant supply store for $2.99. Clears the elements by about 1/2 inch. Works great.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
mavrick1903
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've thought about the U shaped perf stainless. The kettle is a Keggle. opening at the top is around 11 or 12? have to check. I have a turkey fryer steamer basket, and thought about that, but wondered if it would be big enough to hold a full AG grain bill.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
audger
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i would not imagine that a BIAB bag would stand up to contact with a heating element. anyone who claims "but i did it and nothing bad happened" was just lucky.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Depends on the bag and the element watt density.

I have a polyester or some sort of non-cotton bag (voile curtain material) and a low density element, and no issues. It sort of stains the grain color on when I have it on the element while element is on for a while, but no biggee.

I do like to pin the bag to the edge of the kettle just a bit higher on the front and back of the element, so it sort of tents overtop of it naturally, but not necessary with this setup.

Quick Reply