Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Beware of Auber Instruments

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #81
sTiNkFiZzle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 28

When the FOB term is “Buyers Dock” or similar words, the title to the goods remains with the shipper until the carrier delivers it to the buyer’s hands. The shipper bears all expenses, and the risk of loss or damage, until the goods are tendered for delivery at the buyer’s hands.

The issue is between Auber and Fedex. Auber in my opinion should have just bit the bullet and do what good businesses do and replace the parts and require a signature on the next shipment. I have had things stolen several times through the years and good businesses never question it and deal with the fright company them selves.

I think if Auber did the right thing this post would have never happened and the money the saved on that one transactions cost them a lot of sales from the HBT community (me for sure). Bobby said what I like to hear from a vendor earlier in this post and that is why I will always buy from him. Unfortunately newtstampede suffers the loss here and I hope he buys elsewhere.

Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #82
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Standard delivery process is to the address and apartment number specified. If you want it to go to the office then put that in the ship-to address.

It can all be very easily avoided by being clear rather ambiguous about where you actually want the package to end up.

Do your delivery person a favor...don't make them guess where you want that package to actually go.
It's almost as if you've never lived in an apartment building. In all the ones I've lived in, it is standard practice for the delivery guys to just dump their attempted deliveries at the manager's office and leave a note on the door. In several cases our regular guy wouldn't bother with the note, so it would instead be standard practice to stop by the manager's office when expecting a delivery, to see if it had arrived yet.

Of course the real problem here is that Auber shipped the package with no signature required (not a choice given to the customer), and then the driver decided it would be OK to leave a couple hundred dollars in electronics sitting in a public hallway rather than drop it off in the manager's office on his way out of the building.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #83
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just a couple of comments:

The last time I had something shipped by FedEx, there was a link on the "tracking" page to request in-store pickup. If I was having a high-dollar item shipped to me, I would use this option. I don;t have thieving neighbors though. I know most of them by face if not by name (I'm horrible with names).

One (minor) complaint I have with FedEx is that they always leave packages in front of my garage. I wish they would take them to my door, which is a little more "private".

My company deals with shipments using all 4 of the "consumer" carriers (UPS, FedEx, DHL, and USPS) as well as larger freight companies. There isn't a single one that I couldn't come up with something bad in regards to past experiences. I've received packages halfway around the world in under a week from one of them one week, and a package from the same place takes 6 weeks when shipped the next week.

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #84
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts

A little off topic but I'm so tired of package delivery services. As a small business owner I've had a ton of problems and as a personal consumer I've had a ton of problems with them.

I don't understand how a company can operate on the basis that: Give us your property and your money but if we mess up you're SOL.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #85
cheez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackin View Post
Customer has a contract with the seller to supply an item.

Seller has a contract with the shipper to deliver the item to the the customer.

Item was not delivered to the customer.
Simply stated.
Irish Red Ale
Ginger Ale
Belgian Wit
Winter Ale

Old 03-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #86
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Yes, it was delivered. Someone out of the loop stole it.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 03-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #87
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Yes, it was delivered. Someone out of the loop stole it.
The receiver wasn't the one who left the package in an insecure area. It is pretty asinine to claim that this is somehow his fault.

It sounds to me like FedEx is paying the seller back for a lost package yet the Seller is trying to incur additional profit by charging the buyer again.

When I lived in an apartment, no one left packages in public areas, even if there was no signature required. If there was no one to answer the door, there was a delivery notice left behind for the receiver to pick up the package.

This is completely on FedEx. Their policy is to deal with the shippers only when packages are lost. That sounds like what is being done here. Yet it also sounds like auber is trying to profit from the mistake. Seems they essentially want to be paid twice.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #88
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Whoops, double post.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #89
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'd just drop the point about Fedex paying the shipper. The red tape involved in filing the claim and following up will literally take 1-2 hours and there is a good chance they will reject the claim on this one anyway. Unless your business is ultra slow, no one has time for it so no matter how you look at it, Auber needs to take the loss. As I said before, they are looking at the loss as out of their control. Well, sort of, unless they put signature confirmation on it. They are partially at fault but mostly they are just being terrible business people.

Here's the real rub though... there's no proof that the customer didn't really find it in front of their door and still claim it was stolen. I'm not saying this is the case with the OP, but it could be a shady tactic nonetheless.

If you look at Paypal's policy, which is very much in favor of buyers, they consider USPS's delivery confirmation as proof of delivery for transactions under $250 and signature confirmation for values above. If Auber used paypal, by Paypal's standards the OP is out of luck. This STILL doesn't account for customer perception effects as this is a BUSINESS decision.

If you just take a look at the comments throughout this thread, a very small minority of posters think Auber is right. Frankly, it's not even based on the merit of the argument. If people think a business is shady then they are.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #90
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Frankly, I'm pretty astonished that Auber hasn't stepped up and dealt with this, as the reputation damage appears to far exceed the value of the loss. It is also inconsistent with their prior reputation of providing very good service. Perhaps there is more to the story, but even so this appears to be a poor business decision.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply