Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Beware of Auber Instruments
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #11
thargrav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by latium View Post
They already have their profit, don't they? In your example, the customer paid $100, and if you subtract the cost of the goods, that leaves Auber grossing $60 (before their other expenses come out of that). Now FedEx reimburses them the $40 for the equipment, so now they have $100 again, just like after the customer paid them but before they shipped anything, which means they're still making the same amount of money (less the cost of labor and materials for packing).

I'd be steamed, too. They're not just trying to make a profit; they're double-dipping.
Actually, no, they are not. In a real business if I sell a item for $100 that I paid $40 for wholesale, my profit is not $60. It's more like $5 - $10 after all of my other business expenses come out. This is why I do not ship with FedEx.

But you are correct about Auber - they should just ship the replacement and be done with it. Their loss in this transaction would just be another cost of doing business. So, instead of taking a small loss by shipping out the replacement parts they will take a $50 - $55 loss by refunding the customer's money. Not smart.

Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 AM   #12
movet22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thargrav View Post
Actually, no, they are not. In a real business if I sell a item for $100 that I paid $40 for wholesale, my profit is not $60. It's more like $5 - $10 after all of my other business expenses come out. This is why I do not ship with FedEx.

But you are correct about Auber - they should just ship the replacement and be done with it. Their loss in this transaction would just be another cost of doing business. So, instead of taking a small loss by shipping out the replacement parts they will take a $50 - $55 loss by refunding the customer's money. Not smart.
That is a smart business man right there!

I look at it this way- How often does this happen to them? I'd venture to say infrequently at the most (though I will admit that is a variable here, but I digress...) Assuming this is a rare situation, then a good business would eat the $50-55 loss as a customer service expense.

Instead someone gets mad and vocal (see: Talk, Homebrew) and they get lots of bad pub, that has already resulted in 2 people, by my count, saying they will not be using auber because of said situation.

I think the biggest point here is to treat every customer as if he/she had a platform to showcase shortcomings in customer support.

Hope this all works out for you!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 AM   #13
latium
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thargrav View Post
Sorry, I tried to be clear that I wasn't referring to the $60 as their profit, just as the difference between retail and Cost of Goods Sold ("that leaves Auber grossing $60 (before their other expenses come out of that)"). I didn't mean to get into fixed expenses and the like, just that if FedEx reimburses them for the COGS, they have to pay again for materials and labor for packing, but their fixed expenses haven't changed. My apologies if I wasn't clear enough.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #14
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No offense taken, I was just explaining what FedEx does and does not pay. Also, most people not in business do not understand the real cost of business.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #15
ylpaul2000
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Situation noted, thanks for the heads up!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 AM   #16
mrwizard0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Good luck with USAA they are pretty awesome and I have never had any issues getting them to refund money when a business won't. I'm also surprised at auber's ridiculousness, but some people dot think about the consequences of their actions before they do them. As was mentioned, people here may be less likely to shop and I take it since you have USAA that you are in the military, and screwing over someone in the service is never a good idea because they have a huge group that they can influence

Old 02-28-2013, 04:07 AM   #17
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Did you pay with a credit card or Paypal? Contact them and they will reverse the charges.

Keg #1: Brown Bomber Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Keg #2: Lawnmower APA
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:19 AM   #18
winterc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

And I thought buying my components off of eBay was risky.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
movet22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrain View Post
Did you pay with a credit card or Paypal? Contact them and they will reverse the charges.
A big +1 to this. I try to use my amex whenever making an online purchase because of their incredible customer support.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
naga77777
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 646

subbed. Will refer back to see how this turned out, before starting to piece together an electric setup.
Secondary 1: Skeeter Pee
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Two Hearted Clone, Graff, BM Centennial Blonde (again :) )

Closed Thread

Quick Reply