Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Best Source For Cheap, Long RTD Probes for Auber PIDs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
jsguitar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by biertourist View Post
Let's not stifle or censor an objective discussion just because it concerns a site sponsor, though.
Are they a sponsor? I don't see them in the vendor list anyway.

The reason so many here support them is because they have excellent products, listen to what their customer's want, back everything they sell, and provide excellent support and documentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #12
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsguitar View Post
Are they a sponsor? I don't see them in the vendor list anyway.

The reason so many here support them is because they have excellent products, listen to what their customer's want, back everything they sell, and provide excellent support and documentation.
Well said and correct. They are not a sponsor here and never have been.

All of your other comments are spot on as well.

P-J

Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDogsNE View Post
Biertourist, are you sure about the 1/4" NPT part? I may be missing the obvious, but I can't find the spot that says that on the ad you linked. It says M12. Those look to me like machine threads and a lock nut, and look like zinc plating, not stainless. The Auber one clearly says stainless and liquid tight. My experience leads me to trust them. I've had my share of wrong stuff arrive from China, and ended up eating the losses.
This (and the support issue) is what you are paying the extra $30 for. Don't get me wrong, I have gone the "cheap" route and sourced from ebay but this is my comparisons to what I could have done:
Ebay) looked and looked and looked over so many listings to find the one that I was most sure was what I wanted (a 1/2" NPT/BSP TC short probe = kind of rare on ebay). It took me a hour or two for a couple of nights to find the one I was most comforatble with buying... and then I wasn't 100% it was exactly what I wanted but know I could make it work.
Auber) could have bought it in less than 5 minutes

The savings was worth my time as I have little disposable income and any money I have to spend of brewing equipment needs to be stretch as far as possible. I am pretty mech/elec minded so I can be reasonably sure what I am getting is what I want (most ebay adds don't outright lie but many obmitted important info)
YMMV

Old 12-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDogsNE View Post
Biertourist, are you sure about the 1/4" NPT part? I may be missing the obvious, but I can't find the spot that says that on the ad you linked. It says M12. Those look to me like machine threads and a lock nut, and look like zinc plating, not stainless. The Auber one clearly says stainless and liquid tight. My experience leads me to trust them. I've had my share of wrong stuff arrive from China, and ended up eating the losses.
Fantastic points! -I've also bought Chinese "stainless' that rusts and zinc plated or nickel plated items that claimed to be stainless, too. -I've also had items from China get stuck in customs and then I had to pay extra import duty because the Chinese vendor didn't...

Crap!
I really didn't want to spend the money but I think you all slowly convinced me... (It's SOO frustrating to buy something, wait 2 1/2 weeks to get it from China and then find out its the wrong thing. -I'm pretty sick of that happening, for sure.)

Seriously appreciate everyone chiming in on the pros and cons; it's an effort I need to go through to make a decision. (Now I'll just hope my wife doesn't check the bank statement that closely...)

Adam

Old 12-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
jCOSbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 7

On my budget build I got one of the waterproof PT100 probes and stick it right in the middle of the kettle during the mash. In theory this should be more accurate than a probe on the side of the kettle and it wont damage my grain bag. Amazon, Ebay, and Auberins sell these for $10-15. Another nice feature of the RTD probes as you can use any type of bulkhead connector, unlike a K type thermocouple.

Some people are spending $400 each on a bilchmann kettles and designing a $2k control panel so they probably aren't worried about the cost of the cost of the RTD probes. The Auberins deluxe probes are a nice solution and you get what you pay for.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #16
BrothOfVigor
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As others have stated, just be weary of what is really listed on EBay. I myself got high quality RTDs for a great price on EBay, but it took a lot of patience and research. Tons of listings are for "thermocouple rtd". What is that, is it a thermocouple, or an rtd? Does the lister have any idea what they have? - pass.

The Auber ones are a pretty good value all things considered. The next step up in quality leads you into the land of ~100$ probes with no durable sheath or preinstalled panel mount (and more quality than is even compatible with most economy priced PIDs). But if you're on a budget and have some time to wait, you can get those 100$ models for a fraction of the price; just know what you're getting.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #17
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I've also read that all PT100 RTDs are not created equal and there are A, B, & C specifications; Auber clearly spells out that you're getting the high accuracy "A" grade PT100; the Ebay and Amazon ones I've seen don't even mention it. (And I looked at a LOT of them....)

I hate it when I'm wrong, but I'm happy when I figure it out before I waste my money.

Adam

Old 12-13-2012, 03:55 AM   #18
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Well, I had my girlfriends sister draw my name for Christmas this year and she asked what I wanted so I sent her a link to the 4" Liquid Tight Deluxe Cord RTD Sensor from Auberins so I don't have to worry about the cost factor on this one! More seriously though, I've heard nothing but good things about this website so I can't stand not to go there.

I hate Walder Frey...

Quick Reply