Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Best Heatstick Construction

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
nealperkins
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Best Heatstick Construction

I am about to go electric and I would really like to be able to whirlpool the wort. So, I have read various construction schemes/materials and wonder if there is consensus from the 'electrical wizards' which method is 'best' from a safety and cost perspective? I suppose opinions will vary but, I'd appreciate your opinion.
Thanks for your expertise!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

From a safety/cost perspective, I'd suggest you mount elements in your keggle if at all possible. My experience with heatsticks (having made 4 of them) is that they have a lifespan. I used different methods, mostly the pour in method, but based on my experience, they will likely not last forever. The pour in method with a j-bend heat stick was the first to go. It's pretty hard to thin JB Weld enough to be effective pouring into a J-Bend.

That being said, if I was making a heat stick today I'd go with an all copper one. There was a design on her somewhere. You can use silicone tape/wrap on the handles so they don't get too hot.

Heatsticks are very flexible. But what's your setup like? Honestly, it's no more expensive and only slightly more work to mount your elements. Plus, there are additional safety concerns with heatsticks as you are submerging your wiring. My experience was that they worked very well and were flexible, but once I had one fail, I started mounting them in my keggles. Luckily, when mine failed the gfci shut it off right away, but it was disconcerting.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
nealperkins
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for your advice and experience - I'm taking it.

I order all my 'stuff' today and hope this will be easy enough that I won't screw it up!

Quick Reply