Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > BCS user control panel question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #31
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
No, it is definitely the higher level process that takes precedence. I just tested it to be sure. I turned on Process2, then Process1, then Process0. All valves stayed in the Process2 configuration. I then turned off Process2 while 0 & 1 were still on and the configuration reverted to what those two processes were requesting.

Ed, I would be interested in hearing if yours works the same. There has only been one firmware update since I've had my BCS and it has worked the same on both versions.
Jon,

It'll take me a bit to test it. I'll have to save my config & setup new processes. I kind of went to extremes making sure there was no conflicts between processes so I didn't have to worry about one interfering with the other's outputs.

Ed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #32
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

I can't seem to find a 5vdc coil DPDT relay that I can put in my control panel. Anybody have an idea where I'd get one? Everything I find is either PC mount of Surface mount.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #33
eccsynd
control freak

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, higher processes take priority. However its not recommended to have two processes drive the same output.

Here's a relay that is compatible with the BCS. They also make 12v cards, however that would require a separate power supply.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-Relay-Module-Board-8051-AVR-PIC-Project-5V-/260575103417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cab7c 89b9#ht_6636wt_970

BCS-460 Temperature Controller - Interactive web based interface, data logging, and programmable control rules.
http://www.embeddedcc.com
Become an ECC fan on Facebook

Old 02-19-2011, 01:45 AM   #34
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccsynd View Post
Yes, higher processes take priority. However its not recommended to have two processes drive the same output.

Here's a relay that is compatible with the BCS. They also make 12v cards, however that would require a separate power supply.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-Relay-Module-Board-8051-AVR-PIC-Project-5V-/260575103417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cab7c 89b9#ht_6636wt_970
Thanks, I just got my BCS in the mail today BTW. Super fast shipping!
I was concerned with using that relay because it says the coil current is 70mA and the BCS outputs are only rated to 25mA right?

Old 02-19-2011, 02:00 AM   #35
eccsynd
control freak

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Those relay boards have built in transistor drivers to handle that 70ma relay coils. They only require about 50uA (micro amps) of current from the BCS, so well within budget. Since the +5VDC pin of the BCS can source up to 300ma, you can use that to power the relay board.

BCS-460 Temperature Controller - Interactive web based interface, data logging, and programmable control rules.
http://www.embeddedcc.com
Become an ECC fan on Facebook

Old 03-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #36
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Took me some effort to dig this thread up, but just thought I'd follow-up on this so you guys know how it turned out.

I bought a relay like the one above and wired it into my control panel, finally got everything wired up and did a dry test last night (no 220V, just BCS 5V and 0VDC).
The DPDT relay works great as an interlock, with the BCS I turned both elements to on and am not able to energize both element SSR at the same time.

On a side note, it was really cool to do that test and watch the leds on the SSRs and the DPDT relay light up as the coil is energized. Everything worked as intended, so I'll be doing a 220V test, then a wet test this week - brewing thursday or friday for the first time in a long time.

Also, the BCS is really cool. I used the probes from brewershardware and plugged in his coefficients. When I tested them against a digital probe from my kitchen they're 5 degrees lower on the hot side (hot water from my water cooler) and 5 degrees higher on the low side (ice water). Need to grab all my thermometers and see if my kitchen thermometer is off or the BCS probes are off.

Quick Reply