New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Bayou Classic Electric Kettles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Chris7687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Bayou Classic Electric Kettles

Hey guys,
I am looking to start acquiring my new kettles for my electric set-up and have been doing some research on here. It seems the majority of people use either keggles or Blichmanns for their setups. I am looking to comfortably make 10 gallon (and occasionally 15g too) batches without fermcaps, so the keggles are out of the questions. Blichmanns are very nice, but come with a very nice price tag too. I currently use a 11 gallon Bayou Classic kettle for 5 gallon BIAB batches, but have seemed to only come across 1 electric Bayou Classic build. Is there any reason why people are forgoing these cheaper (in price) stainless kettles? Am I missing something?

The kettles I am looking at for my HLT, MLT, BK are the 20 gallon Bayou Classics. Figured I would do a HERMS in the HLT and 5500w elements in both the HLT and BK. A $135 kettle and the parts a la carte seem much cheaper then buying a fully geared Blichmann, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Please chime in and leave pictures if you have a Bayou Classic or if you have any other recommendations for kettles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
milesvdustin
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I have a bayou classic 62 quart (15.5 gallon) stainless kettle and I opted not to use it for my electric setup. I just picked up a few kegs from the scrapyard and cut them up for use. The real thin wall of the bayou classic made me a little nervous to cut it up, and the kegs are a good bit sturdier. Also a LOT cheaper from the scrapyard. I think the thin thin walls are one of the primary reasons people go with kegs as opposed to stock pots for builds, but thats my opinion.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
tmcmaster007
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've got 3-62 qt. Bayou Classics for my all electric(Kal clone)rig. Have had no problems with the thinner walls. In fact, made it real easy to drill and install the bulkheads, elements, HERMS coil, weldless sight valves, etc. They are still holding up well and if I had to do it over again I would.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

tmcmaster - do you have pictures you could post or email me? Is everything installed weldless? I was looking to weld or silver solder, was worried about the thing metal with welding.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
tmcmaster007
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know how to weld and my soldering in not so good. There are plenty of good weldless stuff out there and I did it all that way. I'm at work right now so don't have any pics, but I could send them along when I get home.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

That would be awesome if you could! Are you worried about harboring of bacteria with weldless?

Old 10-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
signmastr
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I use a 11 gallon Bayou Classic kettle for 5gal BIAB batches. Traded a six pack for tig welding 2 fittings, element and ball valve. Welder said he was suprised with the pots quality. Works great, no pics yet.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Nice! I currently have the same kettle, but just normal fire BIAB. I have been doing some research. The stout tanks are 1.2 mm thickness and the bayou classic are 1.0. Not sure the gauge of stout's tanks, but they can't be to different.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Hey guys, to all you Bayou brewers out there, found a set-up that I really like a while ago and "subscribed". He hasn't updated it in a while, but it is pretty much spitting image of what I am looking to do with 20 gallon kettles.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
tmcmaster007
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Pretty much what I have going. My MLT is not a cooler, but otherwise almost the same. Two pumps, single tier. Only differences I see is mostly panel. I have 3 PID's and a timer. Also volt and amp meters. Looks like he's using the same TV mount I use for my panel too. Still not home yet, but will try to post up some pics later.

Not worried about bacteria (maybe I should be). Guess I figure everything is getting bolied in the end anyways. As long as I'm chilling as quickly as I can and am good about the cold side sanitization, I should be OK.

Quick Reply