Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Auber SYL-2362 Temperature Control Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #31
SpaceCoastBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion samc. I just got a chance to test the elements, both SSRs had failed closed. They were cheap ones off of ebay, maybe I got the bad ones of the bunch. Just placed an order with Auber for a few things and picked up a pair of their SSRs. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #32
samc
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

My first batch of SSR's from Auber failed, it is extremely unusual for a pair of SSR's to fail at the same time unless you have an "event". In my case one of those cheap EBAY pilot lamps turned out to be the wrong voltage and when it blew it took out both SSR's. My point is triple check, then double check everything before you power it up, or you might be buying more SSR's.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #33
SpaceCoastBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That's interesting you mention that. Both of my illuminated switches (HLT and BK) blew as well - they came from automation direct and appear to be the proper size. I know that when I did my water test the SSRs were working properly in manual mode and both of my switches were illuminated. But I'm not sure what "event" would cause my lamps to blow thus knocking out my SSRs.

The switch itself is wired to control the mechanical relay and I have a 14 gauge lead coming off the relay output and back to the lamp so it should only light up once the relay is closed and I know power is being applied to the elements (I followed the wiring schematic at The Electric Brewery). I'm not sure how an event there would even reach the SSRs. Regardless, I'll go through all my components before I brew again.

Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply