Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Arduino, PID, or other?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #71
Islandboy85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBrew
A graphic LCD is cool but don't forget that it will take you about 2-3 evening to program the arduino to be able to basically run your brewery but it will take you about 30-60 evening to program the LCD part. I understand that it will be a hobby but I advise you to get an 20x4 LCD and start with that, once the brewery part is runing, then start playing with the graphic LCD.

I fire my HLT arduino driven on the first night with basic PID, serial dataloggin and I didn't prog anything in the last 10 years.

Other advice, don't order 2$ ds18b20 from ebay, it's nice to test but you will need to put that sensor fast in the keg, order some probe already builded from brewerhardware, at 16$ it will save you a lot of research for the prob end and time to build, that's the not fun part of the arduino.
Good to know. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #72
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimBrew
A graphic LCD is cool but don't forget that it will take you about 2-3 evening to program the arduino to be able to basically run your brewery but it will take you about 30-60 evening to program the LCD part. I understand that it will be a hobby but I advise you to get an 20x4 LCD and start with that, once the brewery part is runing, then start playing with the graphic LCD.

I fire my HLT arduino driven on the first night with basic PID, serial dataloggin and I didn't prog anything in the last 10 years.

Other advice, don't order 2$ ds18b20 from ebay, it's nice to test but you will need to put that sensor fast in the keg, order some probe already builded from brewerhardware, at 16$ it will save you a lot of research for the prob end and time to build, that's the not fun part of the arduino.
If I had an individual display for each vessel be it a LCD or brew-troller PID style is it possible to run a separate rotary encoder with each display? I understand that with i2c displays they have an address, but I'm not sure if the rotary encoders do. So, would the encoders each need a pin on the Arduino or could they all go into one pin?

Old 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #73
jpalarchio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy85 View Post
If I had an individual display for each vessel be it a LCD or brew-troller PID style is it possible to run a separate rotary encoder with each display? I understand that with i2c displays they have an address, but I'm not sure if the rotary encoders do. So, would the encoders each need a pin on the Arduino or could they all go into one pin?
What do you think you need the rotary encoder for?

On the Brewtroller, the rotary encoder (I thought an I2C version may be coming) is used to navigate the menu on the main LCD. The PID display LCDs just provide target temp and current temp information.

I don't see how you would use multiple encoders or why you would need them.

I2C basically uses up two pins for all devices.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #74
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalarchio

What do you think you need the rotary encoder for?

On the Brewtroller, the rotary encoder (I thought an I2C version may be coming) is used to navigate the menu on the main LCD. The PID display LCDs just provide target temp and current temp information.

I don't see how you would use multiple encoders or why you would need them.

I2C basically uses up two pins for all devices.
Use an encoder beside each display to set the temp or time interval.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #75
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Wow...I think I'll have to go this route. $10 for a 6 x 2 4-number display

http://bringyourself.in/?p=122#more-122

Old 05-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #76
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

What happened to this discussion. It was going pretty good and kind of stalled. I was following it kind of. Getting good input and stuff, plus some new ideas to add to mine. interest?
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #77
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett
What happened to this discussion. It was going pretty good and kind of stalled. I was following it kind of. Getting good input and stuff, plus some new ideas to add to mine. interest?
Bob
I was out of the country for a few weeks on my honeymoon/first anniversary. I've just been super busy.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #78
CaptainHooligan
Recipes 

I'm working on a build currently where an arudino will automate pumping liquid into all of the kettles, manage recirculating mash temperature with PID (as well as HLT, and BK temps just not necessarily with PID), monitor liquid levels in kettles, and interface with an android device via bluetooth where software is running to monitor the entire process. At the moment I have a PID controller setup but I don't have the elements, relays, temp probes. The liquid level monitor is commpleted but I need to figure out how I want to implement it.

Quick Reply