The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Arduino, PID, or other?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #61
trigger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

me too

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #62
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalarchio

The Uno will bring some resource constraints in both I/O and memory depending on what you're trying to do. Add in Ethernet and you have even less pins available to you. On the Arduino platform, the Mega is more robust in this area. Resource constraint is part of the reason why the Brewtroller started on the Sanguino in the beginning.

There are always other options like using some mux options and using things like I2C.

You probably want to sit down and make the list of the "must have" requirements and "would like" options and select your hardware from there.
So, do I need a MUX circuit before the Arduino I/o pin like I've seen online for thermostat systems or is it written into the code?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #63
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Like jpalarchio said, make your list of requirements first, then find hardware that fulfills those requirements. Once you have decided on the display, sensors, input devices (buttons/rotary encoders/switches), and outputs (pumps/elements/valves) You can see how many I/O pins are going to be required. From there you can decide on if you need to change your components or implement some muxing circuitry.

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #64
tenbricks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, but if you're thinking of using an arduino as a pid controller, there's an easy solution:

osPID,

an arduino-based pid controller. I just got mine, and thanks to the kind people at Rocketscream, have it working with the J thermocouples I'm going to use in my fermenter.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:39 AM   #65
jpalarchio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Not knowing how to get a "Brewing Automation" forum, I threw a post out there.

If you're interested, perhaps it's worth a minute to drop a post of support in the thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f22/brew...-forum-315643/

Old 03-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #66
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts

I've used an Arduino for my chest freezer and HLT for a while now. You're going to get waaay more flexibility out of using that over a prebuilt PID. It takes being a decent programmer to begin with though or it may end up being more trouble than it's worth. I code for a living so it's second nature.

I have a Fez Panda too that currently controls my telescope but, having moved to the city recently I may move that to the brew rig since I normally program in c# anyway. Next step is a Netduino Plus to host a web server so I can watch my temps and adjust from halfway around the world

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 03-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #67
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Well, I guess what I NEED is pins for 3 heating element SSRs, one for a pump, four temp sensors, alarm output, I'm not sure how many pins I'd need for a touch screen display or a regular LCD display with button controls or an encoder. Now, the EXTRAS would be room for at least two more RTD probes, another pump in case I move to a single tier system. I'd be happy with that.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #68
matho
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

you don't need 4 pins for temperature sensors, if your going to use ds18B20 then you only need one pin and they are all connected to that pin, you then use there unique ID to communicate with each one. You can use serial LCD's that use only 2 pins and I think a rotary encoder use only 3 pins http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/pr...der-on-arduino or you could copy how this shield http://www.freetronics.com/products/lcd-keypad-shielduses only one analog pin for 5 buttons. You have 14 digital I/O as well as 6 analog I/O which can be used digital I/O as well. You should be able find a solution

cheers steve

Last edited by matho; 03-24-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #69
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matho
you don't need 4 pins for temperature sensors, if your going to use ds18B20 then you only need one pin and they are all connected to that pin, you then use there unique ID to communicate with each one. You can use serial LCD's that use only 2 pins and I think a rotary encoder use only 3 pins http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/pr...der-on-arduino or you could copy how this shield http://www.freetronics.com/products/lcd-keypad-shielduses only one analog pin for 5 buttons. You have 14 digital I/O as well as 6 analog I/O which can be used digital I/O as well. You should be able find a solution

cheers steve
Sorry, what I meant is four sensors...one for he BK, one for the HLT, one for the MLT, and one in the RIMS.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:36 AM   #70
SimBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

A graphic LCD is cool but don't forget that it will take you about 2-3 evening to program the arduino to be able to basically run your brewery but it will take you about 30-60 evening to program the LCD part. I understand that it will be a hobby but I advise you to get an 20x4 LCD and start with that, once the brewery part is runing, then start playing with the graphic LCD.

I fire my HLT arduino driven on the first night with basic PID, serial dataloggin and I didn't prog anything in the last 10 years.

Other advice, don't order 2$ ds18b20 from ebay, it's nice to test but you will need to put that sensor fast in the keg, order some probe already builded from brewerhardware, at 16$ it will save you a lot of research for the prob end and time to build, that's the not fun part of the arduino.

Quick Reply