Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Anyone using PLC's?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
kladue
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

The brewing system represents 1-1/2 years design and purchase of components, 6 months to fabricate, wire, and test, and over 2500 hours in the software write and test phase. As a home brewing system it is insanely expensive to build with new components, with control components and hardware purchased off Ebay over a year+ it was still a bit of cash.
The system is basically an R&D unit which lets me solve the engineering issues on a small scale so a larger scale system could be built that offers the brewing flexibility, control, and safety no other system can match. The end goal is to have a system that can be operated by a novice and still produce a quality product safely and repeatably, while meeting all the code requirements in design and assembly so it can be legally sold.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
TrevorRuggiero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
The brewing system represents 1-1/2 years design and purchase of components, 6 months to fabricate, wire, and test, and over 2500 hours in the software write and test phase. As a home brewing system it is insanely expensive to build with new components, with control components and hardware purchased off Ebay over a year+ it was still a bit of cash.
The system is basically an R&D unit which lets me solve the engineering issues on a small scale so a larger scale system could be built that offers the brewing flexibility, control, and safety no other system can match. The end goal is to have a system that can be operated by a novice and still produce a quality product safely and repeatably, while meeting all the code requirements in design and assembly so it can be legally sold.
That is a rather large undertaking. I am guessing you have an engineering background of some sorts?

What is your target market for this product when you finish? Are you going to make this available to home brewers, or by larger did you mean more on the microbrewery scale?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #13
TrevorRuggiero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiusB View Post
I am using two DL06, one 05 and some Siemens PLC's.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB
Claudius I would love to hear more about your set up. Pics would be great if your willing. I am using a single DL06 and I believe it has about 20 I/O. If you are using two.. you must have some serious automation going on!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #14
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorRuggiero View Post
Claudius I would love to hear more about your set up. Pics would be great if your willing.
The first DL06 with a 05 slave (not pictured) is used for the brewery.
PLC is on page #6
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/f...diusB/Brewery/

If you are using a display the DL06 is easy to interface.
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/f...for%20dummies/

The second DL06 is used for the grain processing system (always under construction), the process could be incorporated into the first PLC.
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/f...%20Dispensing/

Quote:
I am using a single DL06 and I believe it has about 20 I/O.
Base unit has 20 inputs and 16 outputs plus four additional I/O slots and is expandable if needed.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS