Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Anyone use the 82qt Bayou Kettle and Steamer with element?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
jd-santaclarita
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone use the 82qt Bayou Kettle and Steamer with element?

I just took posession of a shiny new 82qt bayou classics ss kettle with steamer basket with the intention of putting a 5500w element in it and making it an electric biab w/basket type of kettle. After looking at it though...it looks like the basket is a snug fit height wise and would stick up too much to get the lid on if it had to rest on an element and pickup tube.

I'm planning on recirculating the mash, but still think that it may be suboptimal if its not a tight seal. Anyone done this type of setup with the 82qt pot/steamer? Any advice would be great as i can still return it if its a bad call altogether. Thoughts?

Thanks all.
-JD

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd-santaclarita View Post
I just took posession of a shiny new 82qt bayou classics ss kettle with steamer basket with the intention of putting a 5500w element in it and making it an electric biab w/basket type of kettle. After looking at it though...it looks like the basket is a snug fit height wise and would stick up too much to get the lid on if it had to rest on an element and pickup tube.

I'm planning on recirculating the mash, but still think that it may be suboptimal if its not a tight seal. Anyone done this type of setup with the 82qt pot/steamer? Any advice would be great as i can still return it if its a bad call altogether. Thoughts?

Thanks all.
-JD
Look for thughes thread on it. He basically did just that.

-Eric

Old 12-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I think that with a good bag, you can ditch the basket, as quite a few people on here have reported. It seems that the basket as is inhibits the flow too much, and it is just another item to clean.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
rod734
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I modified my basket by cutting the bottom out about five inches from the bottom, turning it upside down, and reataching it with ss pop rivits. I fashoned the bottom piece into a stand using the excess as legs to keep the basket up off the bottom of the kettle. I've got about 5 inches under the basket for the element and plumbing.

I really need spellchecker, I can't spell schet, that's why I only got a B in med-terminology

Old 12-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
castermmt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I use two 82 quart Bayou classics in my build not a BIAB. I use one for my HLT and one for my boil kettle with 5500 watt elements.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/fuz...rewery-288498/

Old 12-24-2011, 02:16 AM   #6
jd-santaclarita
Recipes 

Thanks all. After looking at it up close...the inside was all scratched up pretty bad so I shipped it back. I think the basket shredded it up during transit. Anyhow...I dont think I need the basket based on some of the feedback. Thanks all.

-JD

Old 01-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
ODI3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

u could always two inches off the bottom of the basket and use the bottom as a heatshield to prevent the bag from getting burnt.

Quick Reply