Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Anyone step mash with a 220V RIMS?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
Douglefish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Anyone step mash with a 220V RIMS?

How fast can you step with a 220V RIMS tube? I'm looking at a 4500W element.

Just want to see how feasible this setup would be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I am going to get flamed but I have always maintained that RIMS is for maintaining mash temperature only. Thats why I always try to brew with fully modified malts. With a fully modified malt a single infusion mash is sufficient so I never to use the RIMS to step. I think we are seeing more and more that using a RIMS to step is going to lead to problems. I think that one has to consider that to step you need to introduce a lot of heat into the mash which demands a slow flow to transfer the heat into the fluid flowing through the RIMS Tube. Thats where the trouble begins. I think if someone wants to step with a RIMS some direct heating of the Mash Tun or decoction has to take place for the step and the RIMS with maintain the rest until it is time to step again.
Here is a quote from a thread I just posted in about scortching in a RIMS. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I have tuff skin. Have a look at this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/any...lement-247009/

Guy

Old 05-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2449 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

4500W seems like a pretty high rate for RIMS tube to me. You have a small amount of wort contacting it all the time, and your temp range is going to be pretty low (~150ish) so you really don't need very much wattage.

I'm still looking into particulars for mine, but I was planning on going with a 2500 watt 120V (tap off the 220V that I'd run for the BK).

Old 05-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
RDWHAHB
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I think that one has to consider that to step you need to introduce a lot of heat into the mash which demands a slow flow to transfer the heat into the fluid flowing through the RIMS Tube
Why do you need low flow rates to transfer heat to the fluid? I am new to RIMS, but from a heat transfer point of view it makes little sense to me.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2449 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1404

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDWHAHB View Post
Why do you need low flow rates to transfer heat to the fluid? I am new to RIMS, but from a heat transfer point of view it makes little sense to me.
Seems like you would need to increase flow rate to prevent the wort from contacting the very hot element for too long.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It works awesome on my herms.

_

Old 05-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
It works awesome on my herms.

_
+1 here... with a note.

I have no problem upping the mash temps with my HERMS system, but you're likely to get a rules stickler in here that will tell you that what we are doing is not a step mash since the temperature increases do not happen "fast enough".

I really don't care, to be honest. I can raise the temp of my typical mash (5 gallon batches with roughly 11lbs of grain) fast enough for me. It just takes 2 or 3 minutes to bump it 10*F.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #8
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a 5500 W RIMS and I can "step" the mash temp just fine. The caveat is that I can only do it in all or almost all barley batches. When I use 30% or more rye or wheat I have scorching issues.

I totally disagree about the low flow rates. When you're trying to increase the temp significantly you the fastest flow rate possible without sticking the mash to keep conducting heat away from the element. This will not only help to prevent scorching, but it's also going to provide the fastest heat transfer. It maintains the highest dT between the fluid and the heater, which will hasten heat transfer.

The power to tax, once conceded, has no limits; it contains until it destroys. I was not joking when I told them to dig into their own pouches. It may not be possible to do away with government — sometimes I think that government is an inescapable disease of human beings. But it may be possible to keep it small and starved and inoffensive — and can you think of a better way than by requiring the governors themselves to pay the costs of their antisocial hobby?

R. A. Heinlein

Quick Reply