Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Anyone Build Heating Controllers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
brewshopmike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Anyone Build Heating Controllers

So I am taking my 15.5 gallon kettle and converting it to electric. I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to build a PID controller and setup for a 5500W 240 element with fittings necessary to connect to a keg. I was recently introduced to the Brew in a bag method and it's perfect for me. My only issue is I'd much rather be able to do it inside rather than outside (it's getting cold here). I just figured I'd try to support my fellow home brewers by putting out my offer.

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I just ordered some componets to build a PWM CONTROLLER! if it turns out good I'll let you know, if you haven't found one yet!!

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 11-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

These guy's will do it. It won't be cheap, but nobody will do it for less either.

http://www.brewmation.com/Panels.html

Old 11-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
MonkeyWrench
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on the PWM controller. Walker posted up the schematic he used, you can also find it if you google something like "555 timer IC PWM"

PIDs don't really work for boiling since 212 degree water can either be resting, or violently boiling. You would end up using it in manual mode, so its a waste of money. A $10 PWM controller is just a better solution.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
evanmars
EAC Wannabe

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Don't know if you'd find just anybody to build one for you. It'd open them up to a whole bunch of legal issues. Especially if you ended up electrocuting yourself when using it!

Primary - 0
Secondary - 0
Kegged - 0

Old 11-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLight_Brewing View Post
+1 on the PWM controller. Walker posted up the schematic he used, you can also find it if you google something like "555 timer IC PWM"

PIDs don't really work for boiling since 212 degree water can either be resting, or violently boiling. You would end up using it in manual mode, so its a waste of money. A $10 PWM controller is just a better solution.
Not necessarily, I use my BK to heat my mash out water. If he is doing BIAB his BK is also going to double as an eHLT for mashing. So temperature control would be pretty important.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

+1....I'd like to use a PWM, but since I'm doing single vessel, the same PID controls mash and boil. Of course, I could create another switch to disable the PID and enable the PWM, but that'd be more components, real estate, and $$$ than necessary.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
MonkeyWrench
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
Not necessarily, I use my BK to heat my mash out water. If he is doing BIAB his BK is also going to double as an eHLT for mashing. So temperature control would be pretty important.
I suck at reading comprehension, so I didn't get that he is sticking with BIAB, of which, yes, he would probably want good temp control.....however, people do BIAB on home ranges without issue, which would be like an e-kettle with a potentiometer.

I do think one thing needs addressed for anyone that is considering BIAB with a PID and head element in the Kettle, how does the bag react to the element and how would you prevent the bag from catching and ripping on the temp probe?

I think for BIAB, a single vessel RIMS would be the perfect and economical solution.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #9
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Potentiometers/Rheostats for that size of a load are going to be big and expensive. at bare minimum some kind of PWM or simple hysteresis would be needed.

A RIMS tube for BIAB would be pretty neat. A PID controller would be a must though as the volume of water being heated is so small . He would need another element in the kettle for the boil though, and a temp probe in there to monitor the mash any how so not sure if there is anything to really gain. Well, other than the cool factor. As long as the bag doesnt make direct contact with the element its all good. The probe could be something that is just stuck in the mash, not fixed to the pot.

Quick Reply