l3asturd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
OooooK And in the millisecond that it takes to trip the GFCI, this becomes a critical component???

The amout of heat subjected to the 1W resistors in a milisecond it takes to trip the GFCI ...

F it You all are on your own. I just beg you all to get real.
P-J you really help a lot of people but man you are a mess. It's hard to talk to you about anything, and we weren't even talking to you, just about your E-stop circuit. I realize you put a lot of thought and it's a genius idea. If you came up with it you should be proud. I just don't get why you used 1K resistors in series. I'll try my 2K 10W resistor and if something bad happens I'll come back here and beg your forgiveness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #102
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Ok... I'll butt out from now on unless the issue is directed to me.

Critical review accepted. Getting really old just plain sucks.!

Go for it.!

Edit: And BTW - I chose those particular resistors as they were commonly available at RadioShack. The fuse in series was placed to prevent a wiring mishap. Not for circuit protection.

Carry on....

Old 03-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #103
l3asturd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Ok... I'll butt out from now on unless the issue is directed to me.

Critical review accepted. Getting really old just plain sucks.!

Go for it.!

Edit: And BTW - I chose those particular resistors as they were commonly available at RadioShack. The fuse in series was placed to prevent a wiring mishap. Not for circuit protection.

Carry on....
Thanks, I thought that might be the reason, availability. It does make sense to use something that you can easily replace if needed. I'll go to Radio Shack tomorrow and see what they carry.

Regarding my project, I just finished all the piping. Pulled 4 6AWG wires through (that was NOT FUN) and landed everything in the main panel and new spa panel. Just waiting on the leviton plugs now and I should be brewing very soon.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #104
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 510

Quote:
OooooK And in the millisecond that it takes to trip the GFCI, this becomes a critical component???

The amout of heat subjected to the 1W resistors in a milisecond it takes to trip the GFCI ...

F it You all are on your own. I just beg you all to get real.
PJ, we have been here before on this same topic. I think your e-stop GFCI shunt idea is brilliant and I've told you so several times. You have impressed ME and many others with your diagrams and the help you have provided here.

This is a technical area of our forum. I have only offered advice when I feel I can back it up with knowledge and/or experience. My challenge to your design is not a personal attack on you. Academically, I feel it is flawed. You have not yet defendend your design with anything but threats to quit the thread or forum in whole.

Offer me some calculations or experience to show why it makes sense to design a shunt circuit [strictly designed for safety purposes] to fail in non-ideal conditions and I will entertain your argument.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #105
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3asturd View Post
Thanks, I thought that might be the reason, availability. It does make sense to use something that you can easily replace if needed. I'll go to Radio Shack tomorrow and see what they carry.

Regarding my project, I just finished all the piping. Pulled 4 6AWG wires through (that was NOT FUN) and landed everything in the main panel and new spa panel. Just waiting on the leviton plugs now and I should be brewing very soon.

A reistor is the last thing you should have to replace in a well designed circuit. They are fundamental and it is so easy to calculate their limits....

Nice job on the conduit and wire! Happy brewing

Old 03-20-2012, 03:36 AM   #106
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
PJ, we have been here before on this same topic. I think your e-stop GFCI shunt idea is brilliant and I've told you so several times. You have impressed ME and many others with your diagrams and the help you have provided here.

This is a technical area of our forum. I have only offered advice when I feel I can back it up with knowledge and/or experience. My challenge to your design is not a personal attack on you. Academically, I feel it is flawed. You have not yet defendend your design with anything but threats to quit the thread or forum in whole.

Offer me some calculations or experience to show why it makes sense to design a shunt circuit [strictly designed for safety purposes] to fail in non-ideal conditions and I will entertain your argument.
NOT...
You are on your own.

I do NOT have to defend myself because you do not understand.

Geeze...

Old 03-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #107
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
NOT...
You are on your own.

I do NOT have to defend myself because you do not understand.

Geeze...
We are discussing a simple circuit. What do I not understand? Enlighten me. Seriously, I only want to argue technically. I respect you as my elder and made my best attemp to show that respect in my last post. Let's argue electrically. I am sure you could teach me things...I have no doubt of that.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #108
l3asturd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Forgot to take photos yesterday so I took some today. Here's my main panel, spa panel, etc. installed.

Please no laughing at my old main panel!

The metal post is temporary until my brew shed is complete. It will mount to the outside (or possibly inside) wall when that's ready.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #109
l3asturd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhwrecker View Post
Those tags look great. What size are they, and can you post a link to the vendor?? Thanks, overall, everything's looking great.
Sorry just noticed your post. The tags are 1 3/4" by 1/2". I used Arial Rounded font and beveled edges. Ordered from Kal's recommendation, http://www.signsbannerstags.ca/elect...tags_order.php

Old 03-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #110
nhwrecker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the details on the tags! Keep on plugging away!

Quick Reply