New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Allen Bradley SLC 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
jmer1234
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Allen Bradley SLC 500

So, I have just come into possession of an Allen Bradley SLC 500 Process Logic Controller (PLC). I have been working on my Brutus/electric hybrid system, and was about half way through building the control panel when my brother casually commented, "You know what you need is a pee-elle-cee." (His speech would have come out in nice capital letters, but we had been enjoying a few.) "Sure," says I, "but I am already way under water budget wise on this thing."

Fast forward a few weeks later now and he drops this on me from some equipment his company is retiring. The timing could not have been worse.

My question is, has anybody ever worked with one of these? How do you go about programming them? I am a Linux/Web administrator, so I am not afraid of having to dive into the deep end of things, but am hoping there might be a few life guards out there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Take a look at this web page and brace yourself for the adventure.
http://www.plcedge.com/free-plc-programming-software.html

You might want to also do a Google on Allen Bradley SLC 500 Process Logic Controller.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
jmer1234
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, I tried the Goolge search, and realized AB has proprietary software for sale.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 398

On the web page I posted there is a link that allows you to download the software for free. Here is the link result:
http://www.entertron.com/software.htm
Don't know if it fits your exact controller. I'm just trying to help.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
jmer1234
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. You already have me half way down the rabbit hole. I have now realized that first, I need to be able to turn the thing on. Apparently the AB equipment is extremely modularized, but I believe the chassis I have has the power supply integrated. Next, I need to figure out exactly which processor I have in the 500 series. This one has 24 inputs and 16 outputs. The pdf I am looking through from AB does not list any models with this number of I/O. Once I get that narrowed down, then I can figure out exactly what kind of I/O I have and then how to start programming it.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
jmer1234
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As I am looking at the 500 series documentation, it looks like I will need a separate module to use my current RTD sensors.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

unless you have access to allen-bradley programming and communications software, as well as the proper dh-485 interface adapter and plc connecting cable, you're pretty much at a dead end... all allen-bradley stuff is propreitary, the software is very expensive and unless you keep paying the annual licence fees, the software becomes useless.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
jmer1234
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, that is kind of what I am beginning to figure out. The controller does have a cat-5 interface built into the chassis, so I am pretty sure I can interface with the controller, but I am not finding a lot of resources other than the proprietary options.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

if you really want to use a plc, i would suggest checking out the units at automationdirect.com. their prices are more reasonable and their software isn't overpriced.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
bink00
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzsit View Post
if you really want to use a plc, i would suggest checking out the units at automationdirect.com. their prices are more reasonable and their software isn't overpriced.
This...even though I am an allen bradley snob. You will need RSLOGIX 500 to program the SLC 500 series which is expensive$$$$$. Ebay your slick and put the money toward an automation direct unit. I think the software for their current series is free last time I checked...or only like 20 bucks or so.

What model is the controller? If it is a SLC 5/05 (you said cat5 port) you should be able to pay for you a complete rack from Automation direct with all the I/O you would need from selling it on ebay....there is another processor module that has an rJ45 port if I remember correctly but its not ethernet....

Quick Reply