Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > For all you guys brewing in the basement

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
swem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default For all you guys brewing in the basement

I am moving my rig inside, my basement to be exact. Am I going to run into a bunch of moisture issues if I forgo a range hood? I didn't run into issues upstairs but it did get super humid on brew day. If I cover the Keggle most of the time will it take care of it? What's working for you guys?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
Epimetheus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Personally, I would be prepared to have some type of forced ventilation from the basement to the outside. Above-ground areas of the house seem to have more inherent ventilation - opening and closing doors, occasional bath fans, and such. Basement air moisture is more critical depending on the construction of your below-ground basement walls. if it is bare concrete, there would be fewer problems than insulated and finished walls which could trap moisture long enough for mold to grow.

A keggle would boil off, what, two gallons? That is like filling up a garden sprayer and emptying it on the ceiling and walls. Maybe that is OK for your construction, maybe not.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Reason: grammar
P-J Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Brewing in my last basement I had condensation forming on the exposed ductwork and plumbing. I went around with a towel at the end of the brew wiping things down for a while. I didn't have problems beyond that. However, it was a rather large space, with exposed concrete block on 3 walls.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
processhead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I brew in my unfinished basement area, the humidity will spike for short time. I don't use a range hood.
During the winter months it drys out again within a day.
During the summer, I mash inside but move the boil outside. Never had any long term issues related to brewing indoors.

How hard can it be?

Old 10-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #5
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I really think you are going to need lots of ventilation. Or maybe you really like mold.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4784 Times on 3479 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Don't cover your boil kettle! Sure, that will slow down evaporation but that causes flavor issues with the beer (as boiling is what boils off the DMS precursors).

I have a big fan and an open door when I brew, blowing over the boil kettle and out the full length door, and I brew in a ground floor room. Even so, after a couple of years of this I'm having some ceiling tiles looking a little, er, bulgy. I like in a fairly dry climate, although we will get up to 60% humidity in the summer. In the winter, the moisture is probably welcome in my house as the hygrometer says around 30% humidity in my house in the winter months.

A range hood is a great idea, but if not a range hood then there needs some way for the moisture to escape.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #7
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I put a fan in a basement window. It gets a little humid and I can see some steam during the boil. I run the fan for 20 - 30 minutes after the boil and it airs out the basement very well...no issues. Must work pretty well, as I get no scent in the house upstairs, yet the entire back yard smells like a brewery.

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Corona Mill Bucket System V. 2

Old 10-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #8
noremorse1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Running a dehumidifier (they are standard items here in Wisconsin) while you brew and for a few hours afterwards might be a good idea. That will quickly extract any of that moisture out of your basement.

If you can, brew closest to a window and open it. Place a fan in that window. I would also make sure there is no ducting, wire, pipe directly above your kettle. If you have old ducting/plumbing/etc and hit it with steam for an hour +, it is going to be dripping back into your kettle. Depending on the material, that could be toxic.

If you dont have a range hood directly above your kettle, I recommend you cover the ceiling portion above your kettle with a large piece of plastic like this: http://buy.gissn.com/Sheet-HDPE-Whit...In-p/3hml4.htm

It also wouldn't hurt to use this on the wall behind your kettle. They have it in larger sheets. It wipes clean and is food grade.

Next Up - Beer
Primary - T.H.E (The Hell Em) Session Pale Ale
Secondary -
Kegged - Heart of Darkness Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottled - American IIPA, English IIPA

Old 10-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #9
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I think you really need something, but that something can vary from a nice inline fan and ductwork outside the house, to a simple box fan shooting air over your kettle and out the window. Depends on your basement layout, of course.

If I try to boil without a fan pushing that steam outside I get a fog in the room, really thick, and really bad idea. I now throw an inline fan suspended from hooks between my boil kettle and my window, works great. Take it down after. But it does require a window...

Donor Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Old 10-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
heckels
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts

I bought a 300CFM SS range hood with a 4" exhaust line for my setup. Boiling off about a gallon or so an hour, that range hood still can't keep up. I have to constantly wipe down the under side of the hood.

I plan to eventually upgrade to something closer to 600 CFM.

Quick Reply