Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Adjustable shelf instead of a pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBow View Post
Fellas, why not just use another vessel to collect your runnings? Collect runnings in a 3rd vessel, then gravity drain sparge water into mash tun, pour runnings into BK, then repeat with sparge runnings. This keeps you from having to lift a full pre-boil volume and it also keeps you from having to buy a big vessel like you normally see in a 3 vessel rig. You only need something big enough to collect 3-4 gallons, so you could use a 5 gallon pot, something from the kitchen, even a food grade bucket
I have used a bucket to drain runnings when maxing out a single vessel BIAB mash (e.g., 26 lbs grain, 12 gal water, 15 gal pot). Easy enough to do, and it obviously made the bag lighter to lift, and more importantly alleviated my concerns that the bag might fail. I suspect the bag would have been fine, but better safe than sorry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #22
kevreh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmer0817 View Post
Kevreh,

Sorry to post again on your thread. I was surfing thru old threads and came upon the following thread by shortyjacobs which might give you an alternate idea:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/incr...-heavy-157905/

Actually two ideas are shown in this thread:
1. shortyjacobs simply has a winch/hoist attached to his ceiling to hoist his mashtun and boil kettle (whichever he needs elevated) high enough to allow gravity to work.

2. ClaudiusB shows his solution on post #18. He has almost exactly what I've been wanting to do: a joist mounted to a sliding trolley. It appears that he can hoist his kettle AND move it horizontally some distance.

Perhaps you could figure a way to modify one of those ideas to suit your needs

Respectfully,
Keith
Thanks for that link Keith. Winches are easy to get so that would be simple to implement. I like how he puts the hooks on the handles so he can tip the kettles. Good thread to use as a reference.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply