Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 55 Gallon AE Kettle system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 02:49 AM   #21
adam01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

McMaster didn't seem to have too many high wattage 3 phase heating elements.
A couple of single phase 240V might be better/cheaper.

For successive brews, consider feeding your HLT with water preheated from your wort chiller.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 04:22 AM   #22
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just a thought about thankless water heaters as an HLT, most residential ones will max out at 140ºF. Commercial ones can get up higher.

I was thinking about this a while back, because I have a Rinnai tankless water heater all ready. I found that for some models you can use the commercial controller with them to get the heater out put at higher temps.

specifically the Rinnai R75 ( the one I have) will do 165ºF at 5 g/m, and the R94i will do 185º at 5g/m.

The guys at psycho brew have a commercial tankless water heater they sell with their 3bbl system. and the old Green flash brewery used to have 3 in line, not sure if they used them as an HLT though.

Ebay some times has smoking deals on steam kettles too, or you can do a google search ( steam kettle site:craigslist.org ) and find some big steam kettles for cheap. there is an 80 gallon for sale here in SD for 500!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:07 AM   #23
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

*raises hand* I have questions!

You've listed a good amount of equipment throughout this thread, and it's hard to visualize everything you have: all kinds of drums/tanks/vessel, a shop, 2 steamboilers (what are you using those for?), 2 electric brew systems, and all kinds of stuff I'd love to have. Could you post some pics or organize everything you have into a list? How much can you get that barley crusher for? Have you been to bluto555.com? When I open my local beer distribution business, I will definitely consider using the BCS-462.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #24
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

[QUOTE=wadefisher;3250282]I actually have an industrial steam boiler on site. But haven't seen an easy way to use in the process without steam jacket kettles and I don't have any extra kettles. These are hard to find at a good price, even though I have 2 in use for other applications.
QUOTE]

You dont have to have a jacketed kettle, you can do steam infusion with copper coils inside your existing drums. You loose a little volume but your heating should be slightly more effecient, and you already have a boiler... why not use it, it will make mash control and steps very easy!

Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #25
wadefisher
Brew Meister

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam01 View Post
McMaster didn't seem to have too many high wattage 3 phase heating elements.
A couple of single phase 240V might be better/cheaper.

For successive brews, consider feeding your HLT with water preheated from your wort chiller.
Talked to an electrician friend of mine. He says I won't gain much with 3 phase heating elements. Biggest advantage is the wire run will use a lower gauge. So not so concerned about this now. I believe I have 2 240 single phase units I can get off the bone pile. Like these.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#immersion-heaters/=e1mfqy
Mine 4500 watts each. McMasters do not list this one but thats what I have.

www DrunkMonkeyBrewWerks dot com

Old 09-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #26
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

I use 3 of these heating elements in our pressure washers / steam cleaners that I build at work:
2x I-10053-SP ThermCoil Heater Element, 10KW, 480V $289.00
1x EI-10053-S ThermCoil Heater Element, 10KW, 480V, Thermostat @150F $331.22
http://thermcoil.com/
Look around their site, they make many different industrial elements.

I use a float to keep from burning them up:
L-1100 Murphy Float/Level $222.75
I use magnetic contactors to pull them in:
CR305D604 25HP Magnetic Contactors $451.00

There are cheaper ways to do this but the environment that I work in demands top quality industrial parts. I have built over 200 of these units with very few failures.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #27
wadefisher
Brew Meister

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
The guys at psycho brew have a commercial tankless water heater they sell with their 3bbl system. and the old Green flash brewery used to have 3 in line, not sure if they used them as an HLT though.
Good info. I had been there a good while back but did not bring that to mind. This idea still has me peaked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
Ebay some times has smoking deals on steam kettles too, or you can do a google search ( steam kettle site:craigslist.org ) and find some big steam kettles for cheap. there is an 80 gallon for sale here in SD for 500!
I guess I should search more. Where was that 80 gallon one listed. If the jacket was for sure good I would buy that and ship it in.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #28
wadefisher
Brew Meister

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsims21 View Post
You dont have to have a jacketed kettle, you can do steam infusion with copper coils inside your existing drums. You loose a little volume but your heating should be slightly more effecient, and you already have a boiler... why not use it, it will make mash control and steps very easy!
Do you mean direct infusion or using steam circulated in the coil and back through the condensent. I would be a little concerned with direct infusion as to the quality of water comming out. The system is large and supplies other equipment and the lines are black iron. I had though of using kettles but not of putting a coil in the mash tank. I'm sure it cant be any harder to control a steam valve on a solinode then an element.

hmmmm......

Old 09-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #29
wadefisher
Brew Meister

Recipes 

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound View Post
*raises hand* I have questions!

You've listed a good amount of equipment throughout this thread, and it's hard to visualize everything you have: all kinds of drums/tanks/vessel, a shop, 2 steamboilers (what are you using those for?), 2 electric brew systems, and all kinds of stuff I'd love to have. Could you post some pics or organize everything you have into a list? How much can you get that barley crusher for? Have you been to bluto555.com? When I open my local beer distribution business, I will definitely consider using the BCS-462.
I am in a bussiness that handles and processes honey. So I have a nice 'bone pile' to pick from. Plus some extra resorces not available to a lot of homebrewers. I am in the process of getting all the 'junk' I think is relevant to the brewery into one area. Its acutally in 2 different states right now. Florida and Pennsylvania. I am in the Denali right now heading to FL at 75 MPH (don' worry ...girl friend is driving not me ) Next truck back to PA is taking several tanks north. One reason I have 2 systems is because I spend a several months in FL. My bussiness has a base there to. And I like to brew so I have one at each place.
About October 15th or so I'm going back to PA and getting serious at building this. Which is why I'm here getting that 'objective' point of view. You can't beat the info you get here. Or someone just looking at it from a different angle to make you think stuff out.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #30
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadefisher View Post

I guess I should search more. Where was that 80 gallon one listed. If the jacket was for sure good I would buy that and ship it in.
It was listed here In SD, but I think the listing expired, I have Steam kettle on my RSS feed for San Diego craigslist, so if I see it again Ill let you know.

Quick Reply