50 Amp Power Cord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to get power to my 50 Amp brewing setup. Would something like this work:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XL2IG8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It doesn't seem like a bad price since the two connectors are included. One thing I wasn't sure about is how to connect the female end to my control panel. I've searched for receptacles but I'm only finding female or locking male. I could always cut the end off and hard wire it to my panel but if I was doing that, I'd probably just find a cord that doesn't have the female plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same item in my amazon wish list. The only thing (other than SWMBO's approval on expenditures) that I didn't like was the connectors aren't locking. I would really prefer that the control panel be locked in. That said, I have been considering the same cord but hard-wiring it to the control panel so the the only loose connection is at the 50A plug. My planned stand would be mobile and disconnected from power when not in use as I usually brew on the patio and the nearest power is in the garage, so I'd need to unplug to close the man-door to the garage.

I guess what I'm saying is I see a potential safety issue with the plug, but realistically probably not something to worry about. And as 6/4 wire runs about $4/ft at HD, it's like getting a free connector/plug as long as your panel will be within 15' of your outlet. I need to do some measurements, but I think I'll be ordering the same cord eventually.

Good luck on the build.

B.

bneal - I'm not that concerned about the locking aspect of the plug. It's take quite a bit to pull one of those guys out. My concern was connecting the cord to the panel (without just cutting the end off). If I were to do that, I'd probably just go with Skodi's suggestion. I actually added that cord to my ebay watchlist before posting...

It looks like it sold yesterday morning. I searched the completed listings.

I would have posted the link but its so hard to share links through this and the eBay app on my phone......

I bought a 50a range cord at Lowe's to put in my panel. I'm in the RV business,so I have a few 50a RV extension cords around. The cord from Lowe's is much smaller in outside diameter than the RV cord, but they are both very stiff and hard to handle. Got ahold of some 6/4 soow cord and it is about the same diameter of the range cord, but much easier to handle.

Well...I had to go the 70$ route because 6 ft doesnt even come close to giving me enough cord length. I didn't hardwire because I have a 50 amp cord with a 30a receptacle. This was done for future upgrade purpose, and I can use my outlet for other things when not in use by my brewery.

Back