Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 50 Amp PID Brewery Build Finally!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 AM   #1
Topdawg2881
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default 50 Amp PID Brewery Build Finally!!!

Ok so I have finally begun to build my brewery. I have been a long time lurker on the HBT forums, and I utilize the search function alot so I have never had to post anything as someone has already usually asked the questions.
Currently I am planning a HERMS system/ Kal clone. The information on Theelectricbrewery has also helped alot. I have three Blichmann 20 Gallon kettles and the panel is almost ready to start getting cut. I will post pictures as soon as I am able.
A question though that has arisen for me is:
Due to a misship on the Electrical panel parts I have two extra 40 Amp SSR's. I was thinking of mounting those to the Large Heatsink and wiring in two extra outlets for heating elements. My thought being that for in the future if I decide to go bigger I would be able to run two elements per kettle instead of right now wiring in for running one element per kettle simultaneously. I know I could not run all four at the same time but I was thinking now I could run two at the same time, and in the future have a three way switch that would than allow me to run two elements per kettle in different kettles. I hope this makes sense.
So the ultimate question would be can the Auberins PID Syl-2352 run two SSR's off of the same output. I will try and post a potential Wiring Diagram if anyone needs it to help the description.
Also more pictures to follow as I can lay out the parts that I already have.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I imagine this would work just fine. The PID presents a voltage potential at the output to tell the SSR to turn on. The SSR sinks very little current so you should be able to wire multiple SSRs in parallel to the PID output without affecting the voltage the PID puts out or the current pull out of the PID.

The other option is to just use 80A SSRs as I do in my 50A wiring diagram here:

Kal

Old 04-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
Topdawg2881
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Kal, the whole question is for future so it doesn't matter too much for right now. I just want to start brewing so I will worry about that when the time comes. Thanks again for all the inspiration and the great info you have provided to me.
Thomas

Old 04-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You're welcome. Good luck with the brewery!

Kal

Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Topdawg2881
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

ok here are somee pictures of what I have going on right now!

img_6232.jpg   img_6233.jpg   img_6234.jpg  

Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Topdawg2881
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Another question, in the control panel I have a 63 amp contactor to supply main power pictured in the top left. Than I have two 25 amp circuit breakers and a 15 amp circuit breaker. To supply power to the circuit breakers should I run three 10 guage wires from the contactor to each of the circuit breakers or should I still run 6 guage wire to the circuit breakers as 6 guage is what is supplying power to the whole control panel. I have attached two pics to help, and pardon the crude drawing skills.
Thomas

wiring-option-1.jpg   wiring-option-2.jpg  

Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Chrisl77
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made 2 hot terminal blocks and ran 6 gauge wire from the main contactor to each of the blocks. Then I branched off of the blocks with appropriate gauge wire for all my breakers.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I asked a similar question and there is a provision in the NEC somewhere that would allow you to run the 10 gauge for that brief distance between the contactor and the breaker. This is the way I do it and my panel hasn't burst into flames - your results may differ.

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit (10 dumped)

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Belgian Wit (Failure)
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Wit (Take 2)

Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
Topdawg2881
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info BadNews I will take a look and see what I can find, as you can see it is no more than four inches probably closer to three

Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
I asked a similar question and there is a provision in the NEC somewhere that would allow you to run the 10 gauge for that brief distance between the contactor and the breaker. This is the way I do it and my panel hasn't burst into flames - your results may differ.
Is it something to do with the difference between ampacity ratings for power transmission and chassis wiring? Trying to get my head around it.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Quick Reply