The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 50 Amp 240V powering a "Kal Clone"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default 50 Amp 240V powering a "Kal Clone"

All I could find was the 50 amp GFCI breaker... I plan on ordering a "Kit" from The ElectricBrewery.com Will this be too much juice going through the panel? Sorry... I am not too familiar with electronics.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Seriously consider doing some background reading before you get started here.

The rating on the breaker is just its maximum rating. The amount of power it is able to deliver will still be limited by the service to your house. Are you sure that your outlet wiring is up to running that much electricity?

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-15-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
P-J
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
All I could find was the 50 amp GFCI breaker... I plan on ordering a "Kit" from The ElectricBrewery.com Will this be too much juice going through the panel? Sorry... I am not too familiar with electronics.
Please tell us more about your power set up.

You say you have a 50A GFCI breaker - Where is it installed (Main panel or a Spa Panel)?
What size wire do you have running to your brewery outlet? In other words - what was the breaker size in the mains panel?
What outlet do you have for your brewery - a dryer or a range outlet.

A simple sketch up might help us give you sound advice.

Please help us help you.

P-J

Old 04-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok... I had an entire write-up ready and must have hit submit right after the site went down for work... I will do my best to replicate what I had typed this time around.

I had the breaker and outlet installed by a licensed electrician. He installed the 4 wire outlet about a foot below my 200 amp breaker box and mounted it to the stud the breaker box is mounted to. He ran 6-3 with ground wire to the outlet in case I ever wanted to upgrade my control box to run simultaneous batches and needed more amps.
From the outlet, I plan to build a 30' extension cord to get my system out to the driveway on good-weather days. I also get great ventilation in my garage so I will be brewing in there too. The extension will be comprised of a 4-prong male plug and a NEMA L14-30 connector on the other end with either 6-3, 8-3, or 10-3 with ground flexible wire.
BTW---
I plan to wire up the control box myself after watching and reading as much as I can to learn the ins-and-outs of this. Also... I WILL NOT PUT ANY JUICE through this system until I get a trained set of eyes on the wires to verify it is all up to snuff...

I appreciate all the help guys.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 AM   #5
P-J
Recipes 

Ok. You have a 50A - 240V GFCI set up. Good job.

Then you say you will be running a 30' cord to your brewery with a NEMA L14-30 connector on the end. That is a seriously bad idea. The connector is rated for 30A with a power feed of 50A. Please think this point through.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Ok. You have a 50A - 240V GFCI set up. Good job.

Then you say you will be running a 30' cord to your brewery with a NEMA L14-30 connector on the end. That is a seriously bad idea. The connector is rated for 30A with a power feed of 50A. Please think this point through.
This is why I am asking... I am spec-ing that to Kal's specs on his site.
So... following this logic, should I just upgrade the control panel now to the 50 amp breaker? OR... could I run a 50 amp rated cord to the control panel and put an inline fuse rated at 30 amps before I get to any of my electrical equipment in the box?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
P-J
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
This is why I am asking... I am spec-ing that to Kal's specs on his site.
So... following this logic, should I just upgrade the control panel now to the 50 amp breaker? OR... could I run a 50 amp rated cord to the control panel and put an inline fuse rated at 30 amps before I get to any of my electrical equipment in the box?
You could do it either way. (But, I'd use circuit breakers for the 240V circuits. Not fuses. That's just me.)

If it were my project? I would run your 50A's all the way to the brew panel and then set the panel up to handle that (you will need circuit breakers within the panel). There are benefits for doing it this way.

Kal's control panel (@ 30A) is set up as a single process controller - But it has multiple control functions built into it. With a 50A power source, it would not be very difficult to set up your control panel for a 50A feed. With that done, you would have the ability to do back to back brew batches. Kal's will only handle one process at a time.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 742 Times on 492 Posts
Likes Given: 509

I agree. You have 50A available, build a 50A controller. It is very nice to be able to run boil and HLT elements at the same time.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #9
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yes... But I am under the impression that upgrading everything to 50A would sky-rocket the expense of the panel.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
PleasantValleyHops
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco
Yes... But I am under the impression that upgrading everything to 50A would sky-rocket the expense of the panel.
This is why i ended up switching to just a 30a setup. All the components seem to end up almost double to do the 50a setup. Which as lots have said. Budgets have to stay that way. Good luck deciding!!

Quick Reply