Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 4500 Watt Element Without Drilling
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
Gunfighter04
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gunfighter04's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sugar Grove, Pa
Posts: 335
Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

There are basically two types of punches; Chassis and Conduit. The Chassis punches will create a hole that matches the listed size of the punch. Conduit punches allow for the thickness of a conduit connector to be attached. If you measure the thread diameter of the fitting you are trying to use, and buy the next size up Chassis punch you will be good to go. For example. If the 1" threads of a heating element measure 1 1/8" across the outside of the threads, buy a 1 1/4" chassis punch and it will fit. different kinds of fittings may list as either the inside diameter or the outside diameter. When your not sure, measure.

__________________

WOODY: Hey, Mr. Peterson, there's a cold one waiting for you.
NORM: I know. If she calls, I'm not here.

Keg1: Edmund Fitzgerald Clone
Keg2: Innis and Gunn Clone
Bottled: Belgian Strong
Primary: Southern Pecan Ale

Gunfighter04 is offline
sleewok Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 22,105
Liked 1013 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

I have a bare bones system like this in prototype development (you add the element of choice), but I'm putting a lot of time into making it not look like a garage sale assembly of parts.

__________________
Bobby_M is offline
bovineblitz Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
tphjr
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 69
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter04 View Post
There are basically two types of punches; Chassis and Conduit. The Chassis punches will create a hole that matches the listed size of the punch. Conduit punches allow for the thickness of a conduit connector to be attached. If you measure the thread diameter of the fitting you are trying to use, and buy the next size up Chassis punch you will be good to go. For example. If the 1" threads of a heating element measure 1 1/8" across the outside of the threads, buy a 1 1/4" chassis punch and it will fit. different kinds of fittings may list as either the inside diameter or the outside diameter. When your not sure, measure.
Thanks, I'll look at what Lowes and Home Depot has for sale.
__________________
tphjr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hillhousesawdustco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: up near babb, mt
Posts: 648
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

THIS: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...lls-96275.html is what I used for my element and 1/2" holes in my BK and HLT.

Go slow, and use some oil (I just used vegetable oil) and you'll get a very nice, deburred hole. I had to pound out a little divot with a nail punch to get started/keep the tip from wandering but after that it worked great. I have One element hole and four more for 1/2" connections.

__________________
hillhousesawdustco is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #15
tphjr
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 69
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillhousesawdustco View Post
THIS: http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...lls-96275.html is what I used for my element and 1/2" holes in my BK and HLT.

Go slow, and use some oil (I just used vegetable oil) and you'll get a very nice, deburred hole. I had to pound out a little divot with a nail punch to get started/keep the tip from wandering but after that it worked great. I have One element hole and four more for 1/2" connections.
I'm not near a Harbor Freight and I would rather not order from them on-line because I've heard a lot of horror stories about the stuff they sell. But there is a Lowes between work and my house. I stopped by and asked about a step bit that would drill at least a 1-1/4" hole and the guy in electrical showed me one of these.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_158038-72068...bit&facetInfo=

The bit is $55.97 plus tax and I doubt that I will ever use the bit for anything else. But at least it looks like it will do the job! I'll buy the bit this Friday.
__________________
tphjr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #16
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey Shore, Jersey
Posts: 6,969
Liked 500 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Well FWIW I have read many stories of people using the HF drill bits without issue and saving cash. But as I said earlier, it's your money, buy the best if so inclined. Cheers

wilserbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #17
tphjr
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 69
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Well FWIW I have read many stories of people using the HF drill bits without issue and saving cash. But as I said earlier, it's your money, buy the best if so inclined. Cheers
It's not about having the best and I would love to try the HF bit first. But I can't buy either one until payday and if I buy the HF bit I have to wait until it comes in one day next week. I can work on the pot this weekend with the bit from Lowes.
__________________
tphjr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 03:54 AM   #18
theknub
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 216
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default

as an aside, i bought this kit from amazon. been happy so far... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

__________________
my electron build
theknub is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #19
tphjr
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 69
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Wife has plans this weekend and it looks like I won't get to my pot until later anyways. So I decided to check on this kit and they are out of stock. Maybe I'll try the HF ones since I have time now. Or maybe these guys will have stock again by tomorrow.

__________________
tphjr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #20
Carlscan26
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Carlscan26's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 576
Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I have a bare bones system like this in prototype development (you add the element of choice), but I'm putting a lot of time into making it not look like a garage sale assembly of parts.
Bobby - are you talking about just a heat stick or a build your own electric brew rig?
__________________
Carlscan26 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3000 watt foldback element gunmetal Electric Brewing 3 01-28-2012 07:16 PM
4500 or 5500w element? TravelingBrewer22 Electric Brewing 26 12-21-2011 10:06 PM
Best controller for a 4500 Watt Element hayabusa DIY Projects 26 03-25-2009 10:28 PM
control for 4500 watt element brewjunky Equipment/Sanitation 2 06-01-2008 03:05 AM
5500 watt element Brewpastor Equipment/Sanitation 18 03-20-2007 04:35 PM