Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 4500 Watt Element Without Drilling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #1
tphjr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default 4500 Watt Element Without Drilling

I saw this item pop-up in one of the adds on this site. It looks to me to be a good solution since I screwed up drilling the hole for my 120V setup and had to seal the element with RTV.
http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/mer...ory_Code=EBREW

I already read the long thread about Hargrove and kegkits so no reason to re-hash anything. What I really want to know is does anyone else make something similar I can compare this to? I like the idea but I want to know if there are other options out there.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Do you have 240V power? If not, this won't work anyway.

This is basically a heat stick. There are plenty of good build designs on this forum, though I don't know of any high-power versions for sale commercially.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
tphjr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I will have 240V available once I move into the garage and I plan to build my own brew controller. But I will probably keep on mashing in my large GOTT cooler – I do single step infusion mashes and batch sparge.

Right now I’m brewing 10 gallon batches on my electric stove top with help from a 120V 1650 Watt element I installed in the side of the el-cheapo Chinese brew pot I bought from Adventures in Homebrewing years ago. I plug the element into the wall then I regulate the boil with the stove once boil is rolling.

But my Wife is tired of me steaming up the cabinets above the stove & now that my Brother in-law decided he likes my beer I’m brewing more than once a month. So it’s time to move to the garage. I bought a nice pot but now I’m wondering if I should drill a hole in the side of my $300+ investment or go with something like this. I’m concerned about putting a hole in my new brewpot because I screwed up the hole in the last one and had to seal in the element with RTV. I punched in a 1” hole then I discovered I needed something larger & opened the hole up with cutters.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
hillhousesawdustco

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

For 205 bucks couldn't you just get a used range to put in the garage with your heatstick? Think of the extra cooking space during bbqs!

Old 04-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #5
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphjr View Post
I will have 240V available once I move into the garage and I plan to build my own brew controller. But I will probably keep on mashing in my large GOTT cooler – I do single step infusion mashes and batch sparge.

Right now I’m brewing 10 gallon batches on my electric stove top with help from a 120V 1650 Watt element I installed in the side of the el-cheapo Chinese brew pot I bought from Adventures in Homebrewing years ago. I plug the element into the wall then I regulate the boil with the stove once boil is rolling.

But my Wife is tired of me steaming up the cabinets above the stove & now that my Brother in-law decided he likes my beer I’m brewing more than once a month. So it’s time to move to the garage. I bought a nice pot but now I’m wondering if I should drill a hole in the side of my $300+ investment or go with something like this. I’m concerned about putting a hole in my new brewpot because I screwed up the hole in the last one and had to seal in the element with RTV. I punched in a 1” hole then I discovered I needed something larger & opened the hole up with cutters.
Oops!

If you're worried that you'll make the same mistake again, you can make a heat stick for a lot less than this thing runs. Plus, you know, you'll actually get the thing you pay for, unlike with kegkits.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 395 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 8

In my world an element is 20 bucks and a drill bit is $10...power cord and plug is a little more...it's your money, any chance you know someone that knows how to drill a hole?

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0
riverbeer Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
tphjr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillhousesawdustco View Post
For 205 bucks couldn't you just get a used range to put in the garage with your heatstick? Think of the extra cooking space during bbqs!
I didn't think about a used range but the idea won't work because I won't be able to pull the range off to the side when I'm not brewing. Also, I doubt if I'll find a used range with variable temperature settings like the one in my house. Most old ranges only have OFF - LOW - MED - HIGH settings and I am controlling my boil with the range in the house right now because the temperature setting is variable.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
hillhousesawdustco

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

In that case, learn how to drill a damn hole!

More or less serious. That or just switch to propane if you are in the garage anyways.

I drilled mine with a cheapass harbor freight bit and a cheapass ryobi drill. Lots of tutorials here on hbt...but really it is just stopping and checking to see when the element fits.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #9
tphjr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillhousesawdustco View Post
In that case, learn how to drill a damn hole!

More or less serious. That or just switch to propane if you are in the garage anyways.

I drilled mine with a cheapass harbor freight bit and a cheapass ryobi drill. Lots of tutorials here on hbt...but really it is just stopping and checking to see when the element fits.
You are probably right. Last time I followed some online instructions and I used a 1" punch and discovered the hole was too small. Then I really messed up the stainless steel trying to cut the hole larger by hand. Apparantly they were using a 1" conduit punch and that punch makes a hole larger than 1".

I did some reading online - some say to use a 1" punch, some say to use a 1-1/4" punch and some say to use a 1-3/8" punch to cut the hole. Which size do I really need to do it right?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

buy the element measure the dia. then buy the correct punch or holesaw.

Quick Reply