Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 40 Paces Brewery, Single Vessel e-BIAB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
howabouttheiris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 40 Paces Brewery, Single Vessel e-BIAB

Just about to finish my rig and I thought I would post some photos ...

I decided on a low-cost, PID temperature controlled, single vessel, electric BIAB. As shown it is in it's Partial Mash configuration and I am getting my pump in the next day or 2 to allow for all grain.

... I will update with my 1st PM brew and 1st All Grain brew photos over the next couple weeks.

Basic design is a 5500W ULD water heater element controlled by a CD-100 PID with a K-type thermocouple. The element is at the bottom of an aluminum 60ish qt tamale pot using the steamer tray as a false bottom. The valve allows for draining or for circulating during mash with a March 809 and the PVC dripper seen the the photo.

The control box is a HD 8x8 plastic electrical box. As an EE, I have an unhealthy lack of fear of electricity. It is ultra simple in design, with several unrecommended short-cuts added in for arguement sake. Basic elements.. dryer plug to dryer outlet, PID/SSR/heatsink/thermocouple controlled 240V to dryer plug outlet, switched 120V power plug for pumps, switched 120V power to PID, LED indicating main 240V plugged in.

The heater element is a 5500W ULD element and brings the water to mash temp in about 10 min.

Other photos

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looks nice! My first thought was, "damn, he really fit a sh*tload of stuff into that enclosure."

So you just dangle your thermocouple into the wort?

Old 06-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
howabouttheiris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
So you just dangle your thermocouple into the wort?
Yup... I may eventually thru wall it, but by dropping it in I have one less thing that I have to disconnect if I want to wash the pot in the house.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Nice job -very similar to mine. Looks like the same wire cart as well. I clean my kettle in place, with Oxiclean water and a simple scrub brush/pump for recirculating. It is a very easy cleaning job compared to my older 3 keggle system.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
ryclo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 3 Posts

Very cool, I used the next size smaller box from home depot for my build and decided to mount the heat sink outside the box instead of a fan. Nice job!

Auber now sells a quick disconnect RTD probe that allows you to disconnect it right at the pot which I just received in yesterday. Looks nice so far, but it didnt have a mounting nut with it.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Looking good, buddy! You have a great minimalist approach to homebrewing. I do suggest you mount the TC.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 06-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
staab016
Recipes 

Cool set-up! I'm debating on going with a full-blown eHERMS rig or just going for the minimalist eBIAB approach.

Question - How do you keep the weight of the bag off the element? I'm assuming you don't just drop it in and leave it, do ya?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Waunabeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by staab016 View Post
Cool set-up! I'm debating on going with a full-blown eHERMS rig or just going for the minimalist eBIAB approach.

Question - How do you keep the weight of the bag off the element? I'm assuming you don't just drop it in and leave it, do ya?
I think he has a false bottom type cover to separate the two from touching. Where did you get that pot? It looks sweet.

Bottled/Kegged: --Bells Oberon Clone, Autumn Amber, Lemon Light Ale, Spotted Cow Clone, Honey Bee Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Trappist Ale, Bell's Oberon Clone, Savannah Saison, Cream Ale, Fat Tire Clone, Mad Cow, Koppslam IIPA--
On Tap: Ben's IPA, Saison De Noel, Mad Cow
--------------------------------------------------

Old 06-29-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
howabouttheiris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am using a very cheap aluminum tamale pot. $40ish at Fiesta. It has the steamer false bottom that keeps everything safely above the element.

If you look at the 1st photo you can see the indent that the false bottom sits on.

If you look at the 3rd photo you can see the steamer insert (false bottom)

Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Argh I want that pot!

You've inspired me. In spite of the fact that I just upgraded my "brewery", I desperately want one of these in my laundry room for winter brewing. Just might make it happen, if I can find a decently priced 60 qt pot of some type or another...no fiesta's around here!

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Quick Reply