Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 3000 Watt Induction for the electrically challenged?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
ayoungrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 3000 Watt Induction for the electrically challenged?

Has anyone tried something like the Max Burton 6530 ProChef 3000-Watt Commercial Induction Cooktop???

At 3000 Watts it sounds substantially more powerful than most available cooktops. But is it enough power for a rolling boil? I do mainly 5 gallon batches (currently utilizing 2 separate pots per batch) and I use stainless steel brewpots.

Right now I have a ceramic top electric stove which takes a very long time to reach boiling even for 3.5 gallons. I'm looking into cooktops because I have no knowledge or skills for DIY electrical projects with regard to heatsticks. I'm also trying to avoid buying a new brewpot but I've seen commercial varieties of heatsticks (midwest supply) that are slightly too long for my current brewpot. Also, I only have 110 volt outlets (I live in a highrise) and I'm not sure if it is important but ALL outlets in my kitchen are on the same fuse. Please excuse my ignorance, electrical issues are all new to me.

I guess my other concern is Maillard reactions. I know that currently my recipes result in darker than expected beers as a result of my electric stovetop setup. Would this be an issue with any of the above?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1267 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 583

I've used induction cooktops for other things and, this is of course only a guess, I would suspect that a 3000W unit would be plenty fine. Check your fusebox, though. I know a 3000W cooktop would throw the breaker in my kitchen for sure.

Based on what I know about liquid heat transfer and whatnot (plus my own anecdotal experience stove-top brewing), I am skeptical that a stove can increase maillards and scorching. At various points I've used a nylon bag in direct contact with a small 2000W element in a pot of water and had no trouble. Then again, other people report other experiences that I am at a loss to explain. I have used high-end thermometers to measure temperature at various points in a kettle and there is remarkably little variation because water distributes the heat so quickly. In any event, a induction cooker would theoretically give you more even heating (whether or not it is practically relevant).

Old 03-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the response. If a 3000W would throw the breaker for you I am fairly sure it's a no go for me. As I said, I live in a highrise condo. I can't imagine that I have overpowered outlets/breakers. I suppose anything is possible but for $300 I'll probably pass on finding out.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1267 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoungrad View Post
Thanks for the response. If a 3000W would throw the breaker for you I am fairly sure it's a no go for me. As I said, I live in a highrise condo. I can't imagine that I have overpowered outlets/breakers. I suppose anything is possible but for $300 I'll probably pass on finding out.
It is easy enough to check. Just open the panel and look at the numbers on the circuit breakers. You should see numbers like 20A, 15A, 30A, etc. (and fwiw, I'm in a highrise too, so there's no saying for sure that you wouldn't have better wiring).

Old 03-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It looks like I was a little wrong.

I have 4 breakers for the kitchen.

2 are labeled as StoveTop and are both 20A.

There are 2 others in the kitchen labeled "Kitchen rec. microwave" and "Kitchen rec. + refrigerator" both of which are labeled 40A.

But would that mean I can or just that it may be possible?

Alternatively, is that enough power for running a heatstick AND the stovetop at the same time?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

3000W is too high for 20A circuits at 120V.

3000 / 20 = 150

If they happen to be 240V circuits then you are fine. What does the plug look like?

You could probably use a heatstick AND the stovetop without a problem. I would think a 1500W heat stick would be a better choice just to be safe. My guess is that any of the counter-level outlets are on your separate circuit "Kitchen rec" circuit. You can easily check this by plugging a lamp into each outlet and turning off the breakers one at a time to see which breaker connects to which outlet.

I wouldn't use the microwave at the same time as the heat stick, though.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Not sure how to explain what they look like. They look like typical breakers to me. Black squared knobs that can rotate on and off by pushing along a very small, curved horizontal path off to the right side of each breaker.

There is a label on the inside of the breaker door that reads:

MAIN RATING: 120/240VAC, 1-Phase, 3-Wire, 125 Amp Maximum

Old 03-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #8
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Oh. Sorry. Just realized you were asking about the plug. My outlet or the plug on the induction plate?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoungrad View Post
Oh. Sorry. Just realized you were asking about the plug. My outlet or the plug on the induction plate?
Well the plug fits into the wall outlet, right? Does it look the same as, say your TV plug? Or is it a different shape?

Old 03-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
ayoungrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Same shape. That means it is 120?

Quick Reply