Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 30 amp or 50 amp? Pros and cons
View Poll Results: What is your preferred electric setup for 10G batches?
HERMS-30 amp 7 15.22%
HERMS-50 amp 26 56.52%
RIMS-30 amp 0 0%
RIMS-50 amp 9 19.57%
Other, cooler, nonrecirc, etc 4 8.70%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 250 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadboy View Post
Wow, that is a good deal. I bought Murray MP250GF 50-Amp 2 Pole 240-Volt Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, which may wind up returning it's way to them in favor of said spa box. I already have a 50a in the main box so I could wire it to the spa box with no extra effort.
That is a fairly inexpensive GFCI breaker. You could use that - but - are you sure it will fit your mains power panel?

Another thought for you in this whole scheme of things. I originally developed the "Spa Panel' solution for brewers that intended to use a dryer outlet or a stove outlet. With the use of the Spa Panel, the GFCI protection is placed much closer to your brewery and with that, the user would have Zero hesitation hitting the EPO button on the brewery controller. The whole process becomes a much safer environment when you do not have to walk 100 feet to reset a GFCI breaker.

Just saying.

P-J

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
deadboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ahhh, so if I take your meaning I could use run the wiring as originally intended but add the spa box before the stove outlet I was going to install, saving a lot of extra work.

Primaries: Peppercorn Rye
Carboy:
Bottled: Beaujolais, Cabernet

Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #23
NewBrewB

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Could someone post a picture of the outlet you buy/install in the spa panel? Thanks!

Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #24
deadboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't believe there's an outlet for the spa panel. It's more of a junction that goes between where you install your outlet and your main breaker box.

Carboy:

Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #25
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Had I seen PJs spa solution before my build, I might have opted two spa panels for each leg of my control panel.

unfortunately I didn't

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #26
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Question, mention of the spa box throws my build into a bit of spin. Do I need a 50a GFCI in ADDITION to a 50a in my main box? Can't I just use the 50a GFCI to cover both jobs of being a breaker and not getting me killed?
Looks like you got this figured out, but it's as easy as adding a 50A 240V breaker to your main panel, running wire from it to your spa panel to feed the GFCI breaker in the panel. The output of the GFCI breaker can either go to an outlet in the panel or a wire to feed your control panel.

For portability (I don't plan on staying in this house forever), I added the 50A breaker in my panel and ran 6/3 wire to a 50A range outlet.

I wired a 50A range PLUG into the source side of my spa panel. That plug goes into the outlet above. The output of the breaker in the spa panel goes to another outlet, just like the first, but mounted into the panel. This is the outlet that powers my control panel. I wired another 50A plug into my control box and that gets plugged into the outlet mounted in the spa panel.

Sorry if that's confusing, but it allows me to take everything with me except the breaker in the main panel, the first outlet, and the 50 or so feet of wire between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewB View Post
Could someone post a picture of the outlet you buy/install in the spa panel? Thanks!
See the picture posted above. That's what you'll use if you go the 50A route. Otherwise, 30A plugs/outlets are the same as your dryer.

Quote:
I don't believe there's an outlet for the spa panel. It's more of a junction that goes between where you install your outlet and your main breaker box.
If you're looking for a permanent solution, you can definitely do it this way.

Check out the link in my signature. It's a 50A eHERMS build that started from a natural gas Sabco Brew Magic. I got lots of help along the way, especially from Paul, and I absolutely love my system. A few tweaks left on the stand to lower the overall height, and it will be golden. Make good friends with Paul (P-J) and your life will be a lot easier on this project as he'll probably help you with a wiring diagram and he won't steer you wrong. He'll also definitely keep you in your lane when it comes to safety. I honestly don't think I'd have my system running on electric without his help.

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #27
deadboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
Check out the link in my signature. It's a 50A eHERMS build that started from a natural gas Sabco Brew Magic. I got lots of help along the way, especially from Paul, and I absolutely love my system. A few tweaks left on the stand to lower the overall height, and it will be golden. Make good friends with Paul (P-J) and your life will be a lot easier on this project as he'll probably help you with a wiring diagram and he won't steer you wrong. He'll also definitely keep you in your lane when it comes to safety. I honestly don't think I'd have my system running on electric without his help.

Yeah, I have seen your design and am looking at something very similar. I just have a few more questions then I'll start wiring things up.
Carboy:

Old 06-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #28
Dert
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I ran two 50 amp circuits from a new 100 amp pannel in my detached garage coming from my 200 amp main in the house.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #29
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadboy
Wow, that is a good deal. I bought Murray MP250GF 50-Amp 2 Pole 240-Volt Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, which may wind up returning it's way to them in favor of said spa box. I already have a 50a in the main box so I could wire it to the spa box with no extra effort.
When I bought my spa box, I made sure it used the same type of breaker as my panel. Then all I had to do was pull it out of the box and put it into my existing panel, and I was able to use the box for something else.

Quick Reply