The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 3 Phase power questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #21
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

cruelkix,

Please refresh you view of the diagram. I caught some errors on the wiring plan after I posted it and then fixed them. I called out the elements as 5000W units. It's fixed now. I see that you replied before I had a chance to complete the fix so I thought it would be best to advise you.

Hope this fits your needs.

P-J

__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 AM   #22
passedpawn
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,057
Liked 2939 Times on 1866 Posts
Likes Given: 2482

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Three phase

Pappy a little help. I use to know this and now forget.. WTeff has my mind gone?

Attachment 72561
That's a wye config you drew there Dan. Same power as the Delta config by PJ. Same same.

huntb, please delete your post or replace "three phase with split phase".
__________________
a mote of dust, suspended on a sunbeam
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #23
onthekeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,788
Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

I thought Wye and Delta were different?

__________________
onthekeg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #24
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Three phase

Pappy a little help. I use to know this and now forget.. WTeff has my mind gone?

Attachment 72561
Try this:

208-3-phase-WYE


240V-3-phase-Delta
__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #25
passedpawn
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,057
Liked 2939 Times on 1866 Posts
Likes Given: 2482

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
I thought Wye and Delta were different?
Different arrangement, same dissipated power / heat.
__________________
a mote of dust, suspended on a sunbeam
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #26
onthekeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,788
Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Different arrangement, same dissipated power / heat.
So I can hook up the power to my 3 phase steam kettle and use single phase and it won't matter? I asked this question about a year ago. Heating elements don't care, motors do, right?
__________________
onthekeg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #27
passedpawn
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 18,057
Liked 2939 Times on 1866 Posts
Likes Given: 2482

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
So I can hook up the power to my 3 phase steam kettle and use single phase and it won't matter? I asked this question about a year ago. Heating elements don't care, motors do, right?
Elements don't care at all, but you won't get as much heat as you want.
Are you sure it's 3-phase? How many leads? Can you measure the resistance between 2 of them?
__________________
a mote of dust, suspended on a sunbeam
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 03:52 AM   #28
grandequeso
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: jacksonville, fl
Posts: 184
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Be careful messing around with 120/240v 3 phase. Its a common amatuer electrician mistake to accidently hook something up onto the "high leg" . essentially every third breaker is not to be used for single phase loads (line to neutral) as that leg carries 200+ volts on it. Line to line you will get a nominal voltage of 240v , On two of the legs you will get 120v to ground, but on the one of the three legs will have a much higher voltage to ground. If you accidently hook your pumps up to that leg (or anything else that normally runs on 120v), you will burn them up.


PJ- I think there are still a few mistakes in you drawing. Your 30a 3 phase breakers will not hold all three elements going at the same time. If it was a 3 phase two element rig you could get away with it set up as. Elemet one = line 1,2. element two= line 2,3. To balance the load. That way you only had a 5500 watt load on each leg. But with three elements you'd be running 16,500 watts / (1.73 x 240)= 40a on each leg of your 3 phases. If you're going to use three elements I would hook them up element one Line 1, 2. element two. line 2,3. element three line 1,3. This would balance the load between the three elements. And the ssr would need to be split up accordingly. the three elements would be fed. L1 R2, L2 R3, L3 R1. L= straight line power off the breaker and R= power ran thru the ssr.

Grandequeso

__________________
grandequeso is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #29
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandequeso View Post
Be careful messing around with 120/240v 3 phase. Its a common amatuer electrician mistake to accidently hook something up onto the "high leg" . essentially every third breaker is not to be used for single phase loads (line to neutral) as that leg carries 200+ volts on it. Line to line you will get a nominal voltage of 240v , On two of the legs you will get 120v to ground, but on the one of the three legs will have a much higher voltage to ground. If you accidently hook your pumps up to that leg (or anything else that normally runs on 120v), you will burn them up.


PJ- I think there are still a few mistakes in you drawing. Your 30a 3 phase breakers will not hold all three elements going at the same time. If it was a 3 phase two element rig you could get away with it set up as. Elemet one = line 1,2. element two= line 2,3. To balance the load. That way you only had a 5500 watt load on each leg. But with three elements you'd be running 16,500 watts / (1.73 x 240)= 40a on each leg of your 3 phases. If you're going to use three elements I would hook them up element one Line 1, 2. element two. line 2,3. element three line 1,3. This would balance the load between the three elements. And the ssr would need to be split up accordingly. the three elements would be fed. L1 R2, L2 R3, L3 R1. L= straight line power off the breaker and R= power ran thru the ssr.

Grandequeso
You do not have a clue. But - in that case I'll just take it down. (I believe you are mistaken - however.) Good first post.! Saves me one hell of a lot of time going forward.!

You are all on your own now.

I'm Done...
__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #30
onthekeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,788
Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

We don't have to get all worried about a few stray volts. I apologize if my question caused an issue. What was the saying? "220, 221 whatever it takes."
Name the movie.

__________________
onthekeg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phase Angle Controller onthekeg Electric Brewing 13 07-18-2012 01:48 AM
3-Phase Power Questions tmmort Electric Brewing 6 05-10-2012 09:38 PM
Help setting up 3 phase tektonjp Electric Brewing 9 04-26-2012 03:23 AM
Power questions... moxie Electric Brewing 1 03-01-2011 08:34 PM
Anyone ever hear of a 3-heat (2 phase) element? mattd2 Electric Brewing 4 01-07-2011 02:59 AM