Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 2P-Twent-E: the new Brouwerij Boerderij Kabouter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #121
iijakii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 153

That is insanely awesome. I recently scrapped my ideas for a toolbox control panel in favor of a square electrical enclosure, but I've always drooled over yours (and a few others). The toolbox is so aesthetically pleasing. Jealous.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 04:34 AM   #122
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Wow...looks fantastic all put together. Love the Tolkien font too - perfect touch for a hobby for both Hobbits and kings.

When & what will be the maiden brew?

Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #123
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Way cool! Nice job BK!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #124
boswell
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm the guy resurrecting zombie threads AGAIN. Have you brewed on the system since it's been 'finished'? What has been your efficiency into the fermenter? I know there was a few brew days documented with the simple design, what's the verdict on this one?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #125
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I haven't brewer on the new on yet, but it is the exact same process. It will come out to be about 70% the way I run the brewday. I am very consistently at about 70% into the ferementer on the Simple.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #126
boswell
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What are the limiting factors keeping this system at 70%? I am not an efficiency chaser, but if the you folks on here are at 70% I can assume my efficiency would be around 60% as I am still in the brewing primate stage.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #127
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswell View Post
What are the limiting factors keeping this system at 70%? I am not an efficiency chaser, but if the you folks on here are at 70% I can assume my efficiency would be around 60% as I am still in the brewing primate stage.
Not necessarily. Many systems have equipment losses (leave wort stuck in the lines), but not sure about BK's system. Many people with cooler tuns and non-automated equipment get 80%+ efficiency. The real trick is having it be consistent - I'd take a consistent 70% versus a sporadic 75-85% any day.

Reason: for clarity

Old 01-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #128
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Mostly I am lazy. Ha. I just don't take the time to do a very long fly sparge or to do multiple batch sparges. I just drain into my fermentation bucket while fly sparging onto the grain bed, and runt he whole thing through in maybe 15 minutes. That coupled with the fact that I usually mash pretty thin (at least 1.5 qt/# and more often 2 qt/#) and I end up with 70%.

It would be no problem to get he efficiency higher if you wanted to take the time and effort.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #129
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

The way I run these systems I don't end up with any equipment loss. I typically lose about 3% of total system efficiency in the trub before draining to kettle. Other than that, efficiency typically breaks down like this:

97% conversion efficiency. I lose about 3% of the theoretical potential still in the grains (this is typical)

78-80% lauter efficiency. That means I get usually about 78% of the available sugars into the kettle. The 20% that are left behind are in the wort left in the kettle on in sugars stuck to grains.

So after lautering I have about 75% potential into the kettle.

After the boil and chilling, I drain through a strainer into my fermenter.

I lose about 3% usually to hops absorption and trub, and a bit is left in the kettle typically.

As you can see, the easy improvement is to do a more thorough job lautering. I just take the fast route, since my time is generally more valuable than the extra two dollars in grain.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #130
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

As a note, if you do a full fly sparge, or a good double batch sparge, you can bump that lauter efficiency up to 85% or higher very easily.

Quick Reply