The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 2P-Twent-E: the new Brouwerij Boerderij Kabouter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 03:41 AM   #101
big_al_in_k-zoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks. Gonna order a few.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 01:27 AM   #102
big_al_in_k-zoo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, and R.I.M.S. 4 dummies. Got my controller up and running. Thanks for the inspiration!

Old 03-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #103
tannnick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your control box def inspired my box. I don't have pics, but I did use love controllers. Mine controls HLT and MLT. Very simple.

Question: Did you ever use the rubber kegs?

I just drilled the top off for my HLT, element hole, thermowell hole, and valve hole, but then realized while I was trying to install my element that the 1/4" rubber puts a big damper on the short element thread and also, how did (would) you ground?

I was thinking of grinding down a hole through the rubber deep enough against the SS to stick a ground wire terminal between the rubber and metal. OR I was going to chip and chisel away enough of the rubber around the hole to press the metal electrical/element box against the metal side of the keg. I would prefer to do the later, considering I built a nice small element receptacle before acquiring a rubber keg.

Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
www.facebook.com/TannersVickery

Old 03-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #104
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yes, I did use rubber kegs in the SIMPLE build. I used a hole saw to cut away just the rubber around my holes so I was left with a clean stainless surface for mounting sensors and elements to.

cheers

Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #105
tannnick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I built a small electrical box around the element for easy grounding. On a normal keg, it would attach right to the side. After thinking about it for a couple days, i took a dremel and reinforced cutting wheel and cut a 4" x 4" square out of the rubber around the hole I drilled for the element exposing the metal. Thus being able to easily ground the steel.

Does the silicone o ring go on the inside of the tank or the outside?

Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
www.facebook.com/TannersVickery

Old 04-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #106
lavinjj
Recipes 

I love the thread, really informational!

I notice that you are only using a single RTD for the system. Have you had any issues with keeping the mash at the proper temp when you recirculate it?

From what I've been reading, it seems that you'd want to use two RTD elements to make sure your temps are as accurate as can be. One RTD inside the HLT/BK for measuring the temp of strike water and another on the output of the HERMS coil to make sure your mash stays at the right temp during recirculation.

Is a second RTD really necessary, if so, how would change the wiring to switch between the two RTD elements while brewing.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #107
Will319
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can't switch between 2 sensors because the switch will alter the current in the wire for an accurate reading. However you could get 2 probes from auber with the twist lock configuration and just switch the the to the sensor you wish to get a reading from and have a switch on the box from bk to rims or herms to tell it which element to control

Old 10-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #108
Will319
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Have there been any new developments on this build. I was waiting to see how it turned out

Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #109
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It would appear I can no longer edit entries???

Anyway, I am finally going to wrap up my brewery and thought I would update the thread.
Here is the MLT (left) and BK (right)

They are each 24 qt. stainless from Bayou Classics. All connections are silver soldered.

Here is a shot of the inside of the MLT, it has a Jaybird Falsie supported by a thermoplastic tubing ring, a snap lock return hose, and a thermowell for receiving my PID's RTD probe.

Here is a closer shot of the probe; it sits just above the false bottom.

The boil kettle includes a tangential return, bottom drain, heating element, and thermowell. Here is a shot of the heating element.

The outside f the kettle has a metal receptical box silver soldered in place over the element nut.

The tangential return is just a swagelok and a stainless elbow:

Anyway, All that is left now is to build my stand for it and finish the pump box. I have all the parts now, so I just need to find some time. I really want to brew with a friend just after the holidays, so I am pushing to finish soon!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #110
canyonbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Great to hear from an inspiration!!!

For those unaware jkarp is the mastermind of 120VAC for e-brewing.

.................................................. ........
The PID uses an RTD that I will be able to move around. Each vessel will have a thermowell in
the sightglass base. Each sight glass will be assembled like this:

with one of these

threaded into the connection instead of the plug.

I will also have a thermowell for monitoring liquid temp through the heat exchangers:
Brewers Hardware, LLC. :: Warning

The thermowells as well as a ton of other stuff are all coming from HBT member Derrin ala

So I will be able to check temps wherever I want. Or at least that is the idea. I will also have
two analog thermos sticking through the lids down into the mash/boil.
Can you please provide more detail on the sight glass and fittings?

Quick Reply