Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 2bbl electric control panel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
dolemike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default 2bbl electric control panel

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to build a control panel for a 2bbl brew setup. Anyone have any experience building a souped up Kal clone with RIMS? I don't have 3 phase available btw.

thanks,
mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
duckdogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

How big of a boil are you doing? I have a 60 gallon BK & MT but my HLT is only 20 gallons so I can't actually brew 2 barrels at once but We just did a 32 gallon boil this weekend with 2 - 5500 elements and had plenty of power to do more... I'm not sure if we had enough to do 60 gallons or not but once we got a nice rolling boil I was able to cut the elements down to about 62 % and maintained a nice rolling boil, boiled off 32 gallons down to about 27 gallons with a 60 min boil. I am running the system off of a 60 amp breaker in my panel running a 60 amp GFI panel and had no issues. P-J made up the schematic for me I gave him a description of my system and he put an amazingly easy to follow schematic together I'll attach it. P-J is the man

pannel-wireing-updated-4-ssrs-auberin-wiring1-a11b-rm-syl-2352-5500w.jpg  

Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdogs View Post
How big of a boil are you doing? I have a 60 gallon BK & MT but my HLT is only 20 gallons so I can't actually brew 2 barrels at once but We just did a 32 gallon boil this weekend with 2 - 5500 elements and had plenty of power to do more... I'm not sure if we had enough to do 60 gallons or not but once we got a nice rolling boil I was able to cut the elements down to about 62 % and maintained a nice rolling boil, boiled off 32 gallons down to about 27 gallons with a 60 min boil. I am running the system off of a 60 amp breaker in my panel running a 60 amp GFI panel and had no issues. P-J made up the schematic for me I gave him a description of my system and he put an amazingly easy to follow schematic together I'll attach it. P-J is the man
Wow.! Thank you so much for the kudos and the reference.

For dolemike:

Here is a full scale image:
As always, click on the image for a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

If I can help you with changes to the wiring plan, please let me know.

P-J
Old 05-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #4
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think you will need more than 11,000 watts for a 62 gallon batch (about 70-72 gallon pre boil volume). I brew 35 gallon batches (42 gallon pre-boil volume) with 9000 watts in my BK. I have to run it at 90% power after I reach a boil.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Budzu
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehaun View Post
I think you will need more than 11,000 watts for a 62 gallon batch (about 70-72 gallon pre boil volume). I brew 35 gallon batches (42 gallon pre-boil volume) with 9000 watts in my BK. I have to run it at 90% power after I reach a boil.
Actually 11kw does just fine, I boil 73 gallons with it. 2 5.5kw at 95% power. I get low boil-off, but the boil is fine and quite active.
I wired a control panel for my 2 bbl electric brewery, but used 5 separate gfci's from the main panel. From there is conduit into the brewery to my CP. This turned out much more affordable and allowed me to use only 10 awg max, and avoid any expensive industrial gfci's. I can also run 22,000 watts fully on all at once.

Edit: The 5 gfci's include one 20 amp single pole along with the 4 30 amp gfci's for the heaters.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
dolemike
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Wow! You all are incredibly helpful. What a great community. Thank you so much for your help.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzu View Post
Actually 11kw does just fine, I boil 73 gallons with it. 2 5.5kw at 95% power. I get low boil-off, but the boil is fine and quite active.
I wired a control panel for my 2 bbl electric brewery, but used 5 separate gfci's from the main panel. From there is conduit into the brewery to my CP. This turned out much more affordable and allowed me to use only 10 awg max, and avoid any expensive industrial gfci's. I can also run 22,000 watts fully on all at once.

Edit: The 5 gfci's include one 20 amp single pole along with the 4 30 amp gfci's for the heaters.
Very good idea to separate into several circuits. I'm very interested in your design. Might you have a schematic?

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 05-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #8
duckdogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

What else are you running besides 2 elements in each kettle and maybe a pump or 2? I run 2 elements and maybe 2 pumps a time with no issues on one amp gfi. I suppose I could have brought in another 60 amp gfi if I wanted to run the HLT and MT at the same time but don't really see the need for it. A 60 amp gfi panel at HD is only $72.00. I would think 2 of these would be cheaper than purchasing 5 and allot less wiring IMO

Old 05-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #9
Budzu
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

To use 60a gfi's would require more wiring, more components, not less.

Firstly the bundle of 10awg wires was run through the conduit together and presented no issues.
Second if I ran 2 60amp lines to the control box, I'd need additional circuit protection in the box, on top of all the components in there presently. There would not be room in this box obviously. Plus it would require additional wire sizes run etc. Easier and cheaper to buy one roll of 10 gauge wire.

The fifth gfi is a dedicated 120v circuit, feeds the pump and the 12v transformer/bcs.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
duckdogs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
To use 60a gfi's would require more wiring, more components, not less.

Firstly the bundle of 10awg wires was run through the conduit together and presented no issues.
Second if I ran 2 60amp lines to the control box, I'd need additional circuit protection in the box, on top of all the components in there presently. There would not be room in this box obviously. Plus it would require additional wire sizes run etc. Easier and cheaper to buy one roll of 10 gauge wire.

The fifth gfi is a dedicated 120v circuit, feeds the pump and the 12v transformer/bcs.
Makes sense

Quick Reply