Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 240VAC Toolbox Control Panel with Pics

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3043 Times on 1916 Posts
Likes Given: 2569

Default 240VAC Toolbox Control Panel with Pics

I built this on Father's Day to replace a super ghetto metal box. I had gone with the metal because I thought I could use the case as a heat sink for the SSRs, but that didn't turn out to be such a good idea (box got hot, PID did not like that) The metal is hard to work with, and the result was not pretty.

I saw someone else on this forum make a box similar to this one (probably the same exact box, but I can't find that thread). This toolbox was $9 at Lowes (or HD). I used a dremel with little cutoff wheels for all square cutouts. Round ones were either drill or hole saws.

One thing that makes this box unique is the single PID to control two elements. I have a 3P3T switch that selects which element and thermocouple is being used; the switch has a middle position that selects neither (both off). Because of amperage limitations, I can't run two elements at the same time, so there was no point in 2 PIDs, In fact, If I used 2 PIDs I would probably trip the breaker all the time by accidentally turning both on. This design eliminates that problem. There's an attached schematic in PDF/ZIP for anyone interested.

Two important things to mention here: 1) Although the schematic shows a 4 prong outlet supplying this box, I only have a 3 right now. Soon to be corrected. 2) I'm running thermocouples through a switch. This will create some error due to the way thermocouples work (I do use thermocouple wire tho). Quick testing showed maybe a few degrees, but I have to test more. Probably will switch to thermistors or RTDs.

And you're waiting there, not a care in the world

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I like it, nice and compact! Are you using a GFCI Breaker with this? Have you been able to brew with it yet?

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

looks good, but I have one concern...what size wire are you using? it looks pretty small (12 gage ?). What size breaker do you have protecting it?

any pics of the heating element mounting?

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

Old 06-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I love the 240 in a box setup. I am looking to do the same thing by running an extention from my dryer outlet. What type of extention wire/cord did you use from the house to the box? How much does that stuff cost? I thought it was pretty pricey, and I am needing at least 25', preferrably longer. Just hoping it doesn't become cost prohibitive.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Old 06-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 4 Posts

Nice, looks like the box I picked up at Target for my portable RIMS. I think I got it for a little under $10 on clearance.

What did you use for the text you put on the switches?

Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 06-28-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This is cool.

+1 on 10AWG wire...though the more I zoom, the more it looks to be 10 gauge.

I see that you put your switch to the elements after the terminal blocks. Any reason why you decided not to put it before the whole circuit, kind of like an e-stop?

How hot does this get?

Old 06-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts

Are you actually using the BK to heat water to some specific temp at some point during the session, or are you just boiling in it?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #8
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
I like it, nice and compact! Are you using a GFCI Breaker with this? Have you been able to brew with it yet?
I put a 30A 2-pole GFCI in my breaker box.

I just finished this box last night. Electrically, it is almost identical to my last crappy box, which I brewed with at least 20 times, so I know the schematic is sound.

Quote:
what size wire are you using? it looks pretty small (12 gage ?).
Mostly 12 gauge solid core. I had 10 gauge before, but I like the solid better for routing. 12 gauge is fine for chassis wiring of 25A.

Quote:
any pics of the heating element mounting?
Glad you asked (I think this is what you are looking for... click on thumbnails for bigger pic)

Quote:
What type of extention wire/cord did you use from the house to the box? How much does that stuff cost? I thought it was pretty pricey, and I am needing at least 25', preferrably longer.
30A dryer cord from Home Depot. It is about 6' and cost about $10 (I think). It's probably 10 gauge. This is fed through my attic from my breaker box, probably about 50'. At least. I probably lose 75W over that length.

Quote:
looks like the box I picked up at Target for my portable RIMS ... What did you use for the text you put on the switches?
Yes, looks like same box ... Brother P-Touch labeler - I use it for everything.

Quote:
I see that you put your switch to the elements after the terminal blocks. Any reason why you decided not to put it before the whole circuit, kind of like an e-stop? How hot does this get?
That's a good point about the switch. My intention was to be able to turn off all power to elements, which it does. I don't want to turn off power to the PID, so it will probably stay where it is.

I ran a quick test this morning and the inside of the box hardly got warm (I just ran about 5 gallons of water to boiling). I was really surprised. I had considered a fan, but I don't think it needs it (yet). I need to do some real testing. I finished the wiring last night!

Quote:
Are you actually using the BK to heat water to some specific temp at some point during the session, or are you just boiling in it?
BK only boils. HLT uses PIDs auto mode, then I have to set the PID to manual for BK PWM mode. I sense there is some underlying second question here, but I can't guess what that is.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
BK only boils. HLT uses PIDs auto mode, then I have to set the PID to manual for BK PWM mode. I sense there is some underlying second question here, but I can't guess what that is.
If you are only using the manual mode on your BK, then you don't even need a temp probe in the BK. The PID needs a probe connected to it to work (I think), but in manual mode the probe could be anywhere.... doesn't need to be monitoring the BK at all.

That would save you the error introduced by the Probe selector switch. You can just leave the HLT probe hard-wired to the PID at all times.

edit: unless, of course, you intend to monitor the BK temp during chilling via the PID display. If so, you can ignore my rantings.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
If you are only using the manual mode on your BK, then you don't even need a temp probe in the BK. The PID needs a probe connected to it to work (I think), but in manual mode the probe could be anywhere.... doesn't need to be monitoring the BK at all.

That would save you the error introduced by the Probe selector switch. You can just leave the HLT probe hard-wired to the PID at all times.

edit: unless, of course, you intend to monitor the BK temp during chilling via the PID display. If so, you can ignore my rantings.
You are right on everything you said. A connected sensor is necessary (or the Auber PID won't output), but it doesn't serve any useful purpose except to see the temp of the chilling wort. I'm going to brew this wkend and I'll see how much error the switch adds. It was within a few degrees from ambient to boil this morning, which was a surprise.

Quick Reply