Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 240v Wiring Help?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #21
danb35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
One further question. If I wire up the spa panel, could I just mount my heat sink, ssr, etc in the spa panel to save space and make life easier? Or would I need to keep them separate?
That's what I did:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1077928...86535086270802

Seems to work well so far, though that's with only one batch through it. Well, the heat sink is on the outside of the spa panel, but all of the components are in, or attached to, that panel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #22
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Couldn't resist picking up a spa panel. I'm going to use the three wire in, four out route. I'm assuming I can run a 120v gfci receptacle in my spa panel along with a 240v. Do I just wire the 240v outlet with HHG and the receptacle with HNG? Which hot shouldn't matter right? And my neutral on the 120 receptacle is bonded to my breaker?

Old 07-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #23
Mojzis
Recipes 

All good? I didn't add the 120 receptacle so I didn't add the neutral to the breaker as shown in the diagram. Doing 3 wire in, 3 wire out for now. Will that work?

image-736187932.jpg

image-2608280182.jpg

image-9833548.jpg

Edit: all good. Didn't die.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #24
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Apparently the hash is cold.

Adding a GFCI is good, no doubt, but deriving the 4th wire for an alleged equipment ground in such a manner is just a waste of time and material since it adds nothing to the point of why it is Code in modern wiring.

The operation of the GFCI doesn't depend in the least on that 4th wire. True, it is no more dangerous than using just the Neutral for grounding (because that's what you're doing with it anyway) but neither is it one bit more safe.

In some regards I suppose it is potentially more dangerous since having a grounding receptacle implies a dedicated equipment grounding wire is present when no such thing exists.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

raouliii Likes This 
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #25
Mojzis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Apparently the hash is cold.

Adding a GFCI is good, no doubt, but deriving the 4th wire for an alleged equipment ground in such a manner is just a waste of time and material since it adds nothing to the point of why it is Code in modern wiring.

The operation of the GFCI doesn't depend in the least on that 4th wire. True, it is no more dangerous than using just the Neutral for grounding (because that's what you're doing with it anyway) but neither is it one bit more safe.

In some regards I suppose it is potentially more dangerous since having a grounding receptacle implies a dedicated equipment grounding wire is present when no such thing exists.
So what would you suggest?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #26
Mojzis
Recipes 

Sils was right about the heatsink. In my test run the controlling box with the sink got very hot. However I don't think the heat sink I was sold is meant for external mounting. Is there anyway I can use a fan? The only issues I see with that is the fan would exhaust from the side of the box...and they are dc which means I would need to mount a converter or a 12v dc supply and outlet. Which means more wires. Or maybe I can find A cheap heat sink.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #27
whoaru99
Recipes 

Well...I presume people are going with this approach in attempt to add the fourth wire/dedicated equipment grounding on the premise of improving safety/reducing risk. So, if that's the case (and why else would it be?) I suggest the necessary wiring to actually implement dedicated equipment grounding.

raouliii Likes This 
Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #28
Mojzis
Recipes 

But in a case where you can't modify the houses wiring because you rent temporarily, going that way couldn't happen. Isn't using a gfi in the spa panel safer than simply hooking the element up to the dryer outlet with no ground or gfi?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #29
whoaru99
Recipes 

The GFI and the grounding conductor are two completely different things and are not at all dependent on each other.

The GFI absolutely is beneficial to add. I have no bone of contention there at all.

The bone of contention is the fake equipment grounding wire. Extending the neutral to your setup through a four wire connection does absolutely nothing more for safety grounding than if you just wired the neutral itself to your setup through a three wire connection.

As I mentioned before, I don't think it's necessarily more dangerous to do what the diagram shows, however it just adds another likely Code violation (using a receptacle with an equipment grounding contact that's not connected per Code) and provides a false sense of greater safety.

raouliii Likes This 

Quick Reply