Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 240v Wiring Help?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
Mojzis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default 240v Wiring Help?

Hi everyone. I would like to ask the experts some questions. I'm not very knowledgeable of wiring besides some basic lighting and outlets.

I purchased a DIY controller for my 240v 5500 camco element. It consists of a potentiometer, SS relay, aluminum heat sink and box. I bought 15ft of water resistant 10/3 wire (same as listed on the electric brewery). I want to make a simple controller to keep the boil regulated.

I found a diagram online and wired it up. I'll attach pictures in another post. I rent so I don't have the ability to install a 240v outlet. Instead I'm hoping to use the dryer outlet which is 240. I picked up a plug to fit the dryer outlet but I ran into an issue. The wire I bought has a white, black and green which I believe are two hots and a ground. The dryer outlet has a red, black and white. Red and black are hot and white is neutral?

Am I out of luck? Or can I still use this outlet?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
Mojzis
Recipes 

image-840744971.jpg

image-3533052412.jpg

image-3468150368.jpg

P.s- did I wire this up right?

Old 07-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Use a multimeter to properly determine which wire is which. In 220v only there is no neutral. Most likely black and red are the 2 legs of 110v and the white is ground. Confirm this by looking at the breaker panel and using a multimeter.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
sils13
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

if im looking at that rite you need to double check it. for 220 you need both legs there is no neutral. its just a 3 wire system to hots and a ground if your ssr is like any of the other ones ive seen you have your neutral hooked up to the input to acually switch the ssr it wont hurt anything it just wont work check out theelectricbrewery.com and do some really good reading it will be extremely helpfull and be carefull 220 doesnt like to let go of you if u get caught up in it. good luck and be safe.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If it is an older dryer outlet it is most likely wired with H-H-N, as you described, and the N is bonded to the dryer chassis. This is no longer allowed, but existing work is grandfathered in.

You should definitely ground your brewery panel and have a GFCI, and the easiest way to do it is with a GFCI spa panel bringing in H-H-N and bringing out H-H-N-G. There have been many heated discussions around this approach, but it certainly works and is far better than no GFCI at all. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/3-w...-again-372667/

Old 07-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Mojzis
Recipes 

Thanks everyone. I'll look into checking the outlet to see which is which as far as hots/ground. As far as grounding the panel, I don't have a panel. It's just a small plastic box with the SSR in it. The way I have it wired up is that the aluminum sink and kettle will be grounded. I don't have a gfci available and won't be able to install one just yet. I was hoping to make use of the dryer/stove outlets for a little while as I don't have a permanent or eve semi permanent residence. When permanent residence is acquired i'll install the better outlet, plug, etc.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
Thanks everyone. I'll look into checking the outlet to see which is which as far as hots/ground. As far as grounding the panel, I don't have a panel. It's just a small plastic box with the SSR in it. The way I have it wired up is that the aluminum sink and kettle will be grounded. I don't have a gfci available and won't be able to install one just yet. I was hoping to make use of the dryer/stove outlets for a little while as I don't have a permanent or eve semi permanent residence. When permanent residence is acquired i'll install the better outlet, plug, etc.
I strongly urge you to incorporate a GFCI as a critical safety feature. It is likely that a GFCI spa panel will not only protect your life, but will also solve your neutral vs. ground problems.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
Mojzis
Recipes 

Do you have a link for a build or a how-to with parts?

Old 07-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
Lopsy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

GFCI is not an option.

Install it or don't brew electric.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Mojzis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopsy View Post
GFCI is not an option.

Install it or don't brew electric.
It was already stated that I should use a spa panel with GFCI incorporated. I am seeking assistance on how to do this.

If you have nothing new, helpful or constructive to add please refrain from commenting. Thanks.

Quick Reply